• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2005 Suburban

mmcna

Recruit
Reaction score
Since I do not forsee a newer diesel burb being made anytime soon, we are looking at a 05 with 5.3L.

What can be done to increase MPG and maybe add to performance.

I was thinking exhaust,intake and tuning. But Ihave no idea about who makes the best products in each catergory.

Tuning is probably gonna be those most advantageous to that thing. Those 5.3's can really be woken up with tuning. The electronic torque management completely retards the motors and would be the very first thing that I would do. EFI Live works wonders on those. You could even get someone to tune it for you.

Or Diablo Sport Predator has an awesome bang for your buck tuner that can work wonders on those, as well as disabling the tq management, tuning, diagnostics, ect.

I wouldnt mess with an exhaust personally. Some of these systems these days flow so well stock, its hard to justify the money for just a couple freed up h.p. And if you're the exhaust kinda guy, then I'd recommend Magnaflow. Its a low, deep, throaty system that dosent crackle or sound anything like the typical run of the mill FlowMasters do. Throw a couple resonators on it and it'll be nearly as quiet as stock but with a deep throaty voice box and the same amount of performance.

I'd block off the resonator on the intake side and maybe get a higher flowing filter from S&B or something like that. Pop the screen out of the MAF and it'll be breathing better.

I do not know a thing about efi live. But I would be interested in say a milage tune and a power tune. I am pretty sure it can be done with efi live, can it be done with a predator??

My wife wants me to get rid of my suburban but I said she is just getting broke in!!!

I dont know much about EFI either but I know its a tool that no one can touch when it comes to fine tuning anything GM. Nothing even comes close. The Predator can tune for 87 or 93 and give you a million options as what exactly to change and when. For around $300, it really is the best bang for the buck.

Actually we are going to keep both Burbs for now.

I bet those people against big vehicles are going to love driving past a house with 2 big burbs in the driveway.

Screw 'em! Drive what you like... I've had a couple of 5.3s in Tahoes and never did anything to tweak 'em (wife doesn't need more HP ;)). They're pretty potent stock. If you follow along with Nick's suggestions, it might just be pretty quick.

I think she wants me to keep my sub so I do not start tweeking hers.

But I will still do it. You know I need that Predator to read codes, at least that is my story. ):h):h):h

We put a K&N CAI on our 02 Burb and it really woke it up. Sounds great at WOT, too. Lots of companies make good tuners for it, and Flowmaster and Magnaflow both have good exhausts.

Oops, I see it's a Z71. That should have a K&N filter stock, correct?

Back