• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2002 2500HD front wheel bearing carnage

razur65

Reaction score
So it started with a squeal, truck wasn't hardly driven before wheel bearing let go and became a catastrophe. Truck only has 72k on it, must have been affected by all this gold old NY road salt!

2500_WB1.01.jpg

North East way of life... one inch of snow on the roads means three inches of salt loaded sand must be applied.
Got all the main parts from auto salvage, axle shaft, steering knuckle with bearing, rotor and caliper for $200 bucks.
Got a new upper arm with ball joint, new ball joint for the lower arm, new brake hose, got it all back together.
Drove it for errands one day, the next day my wife went to drive it she called me and said was making a whining noise.
I got home and checked it over, power steering fluid reservoir is rusted through and leaking. Replaced rusted lines last summer.
So back in the shop with it, ordered new pump and engine oil cooler lines from Amazon. Plan on spending another Saturday wrencing on this one...
IMG_1280.JPG

I hope you ordered a new PS pump otherwise you ARE better off with a non-prior-failed and patched pump from a junkyard. Do flush the system from the low oil and add a Magna X In-Line Magnetic Power Steering Fluid Filter to catch what else is left. Unless the system got dusted from a burning up pump then you simply replace everything in the system... My record is 5 rebuilt POS pumps in a row.

I hope you ordered a new PS pump otherwise you ARE better off with a non-prior-failed and patched pump from a junkyard. Do flush the system from the low oil and add a Magna X In-Line Magnetic Power Steering Fluid Filter to catch what else is left. Unless the system got dusted from a burning up pump then you simply replace everything in the system... My record is 5 rebuilt POS pumps in a row.
Records are made to be broken:D

Thanks for the filter tip, picked one up today. Got the cheapest pump I could find because this ones the first in line for trade in on a newer truck... hopefully.

Started pulling pump Friday after first round of clearing driveway. Foot and a half of wet, heavy spring snow, mixed with mud, yuck! Got steering pump off and then lost power before could get any further. PS Pump_1.02.jpg PS Pump_1.02.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 1
Update: March- in like a lion... so they say. anyway, got some new oil cooler lines in while the steering pump and bracket was out. Lines were a tight fit, had to disconnect left side engine mount and raise up with porta-power under the oil pan. Would have been worse if power steering pump and bracket were still on motor.
Got it all back together, had so much snow and wet/thawed clay underneath the snow that couldn't really get plowed out all the way back to the barn doors so ended up burying truck DEEP trying to get it to the driveway.
My nephew came up with his Dodge and pulled me out.2500HD_done n stuck.01.jpg 2500HD_OC lines.01.jpg

Back