• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2001 Silverado 1500HD 2WD Rear Diff ratio upgrade

Manny1500HD

Reaction score
I’m planning on bumping up the gear ratios on my 1500HD i believe it has 3.73 gears and limited slip.
The reason for this is because it is sitting on a 6in rough country lift and 20x12 on 33x12.50R20.

It lacks power of course, I’m finally ready for this upgrade, as i have gotten my transmission rebuilt recently. I plan on using the truck for work when i open up a LLC very soon. I still have my stock 16’s I plan on putting 35 on them and switching back and forth probably when using the truck for work

Going to do trailer rentals and hauling services. Should I go up to 4.56gears? If so what brand should i go with?

FYI it currently has stock motor but plan on building another one supercharged LQ9 for it down the road.

increasing the ratio in the rear end will also take away from your top end speed. depending on how far you go with it, you could end up having to keep it at a high RPM just to keep up in freeway traffic. what is your current engine size and trans you have in the truck.

there are online calculators that can tell you what your RPM will be at certain speeds just by imputing the gear ratio of the diff, trans and tire diameter. look for something that will suit your needs which will work well for both size tires you plan to use.

Also keep in mind that changing the rear end gears might not give you the amount of power gain that you are wanted to get. to give an example, going from 3.73 to say 4.10. that might five you a 10% increase in RPM overall but that will not give you the same 10% increase in power. it will be more like half or less power gain.

also factor in the cost factor if your not replacing the gears your self. I paid $500 to have a set of 3.73's installed on my 14 bolt full floater which is honestly one of the easier rear ends to setup also while I provided the new gear set with bearings and install kit. I have heard other diff's that are setup without the removable pinion housing can cost considerably more to have someone set up and shim properly.

The engine size is 6.0L LQ4. Transmission is 4L80E

I plan on waiting for the business to get consistent work or guarantee contracts with local companys then go buy a 3/4 ton cummins/duramax. My friend has a ram 3500 cummins, he will let me borrow when i need it

Just local hauling? The money had better be elsewhere in the business vs. just moving things from point A to B. With fuel costs and unstable sudden price increases: your cost to move something due to fuel can suddenly be unprofitable at the next gas station.

I wouldn't put 10 cents more than you have too into the pickup. It comes off your bottom line. Lifts cause more wear on expensive suspension components. Stock setups eat parts fast enough when towing.

10 cents: I didn't even bother to paint my truck as it didn't make it go faster and expensive to do so. I did use a name brand rattle can now and then to keep the rust down.

Maybe put a smaller tire on it and leave it alone. It takes time you won't have to mess around swapping tires when things get busy.

I suggest leaving the rear end alone. Instead get something better suited for the job that hasn't been lifted, jacked, slammed, etc. Don't forget Medium Duty trucks like the 4500's and 5500's that have 19.5" tires and other long life stuff pickups don't. Depending on what you are towing as we don't have enough info about the "cargo" to say what would work well.

I wouldn't strain your friendship too much by borrowing the friends pickup. Cummins is PROUD of their parts and it would put a real strain on things to have to buy your buddy some expensive parts.

Commercial Insurance is expensive and the other nightmare in borrowing a truck that may not have it.

The engine size is 6.0L LQ4. Transmission is 4L80E

I plan on waiting for the business to get consistent work or guarantee contracts with local companys then go buy a 3/4 ton cummins/duramax. My friend has a ram 3500 cummins, he will let me borrow when i need it
That 6.0L should have lots of power BTW. but depending on which options it came with also might have the dreaded solenoids that cancel out half of the cylinders. those have many issues. I would use that truck as your fun toy / daily driver for your personal use and look for another one maybe a 1 ton rig for your commercial work. maybe even something with a flat bed depending on what you haul.

keep in mind the newer you go, the more issues you'll have with emission systems on any rig. I like the older rigs that don't need any of that crap attached to it. the way this world is headed, I personally would want something with a little electronics as possible. I am starting to see a big trend on the manufactures now where you really never own it. Manufactures giving the ability to now click a mouse on the other side of the country and your rig just ceases to function. I'll be dammed if they can turn my 💩 off HAHA!

You need to get it out of the weather!
Yeah. It belongs to My son. I have suggested we get it into the garage, get it dismantled, rebuilt and back together.
He just aint interested in doing that in this time frame.
I have a 3.8 Buick grand National V6, a short and a long block, two turbos, one has about 500 miles on it. Long block was running real strong. It was going through oil. The guy that had it pulled the engine and shoved a NA engine into the Regal. He discovered the oil was going out the rear of the intake maneeefold. I’m thinking of selling those engines and all the components, the MG-B roadster body I was going to out it in, and put the money into His Scout.
He does have another Scout, same vintage, 1962 or so, and that one does run. It needs the exhaust pipe replaced, brakes, hyd. Clutch, etc gone through but it could be a driver without too much labor and parts.

So buy it back from him. Because no interest is just that. Do something else with him that you both enjoy if the classic ride ain't it.
He wants to fix them up.
I figure this summer, after back gets healed enough from this next surgery, I will get the yellow one in and get it road worthy, then immediately thereafter, get that Red Carpet special in and do a total restoration on it.
I think the biggest hard to find item for that RC Special will be to find the red carpet with the proper matt weave, or whatever its called. Want it to be right and correct.
Only thing missing is the VIN plate that was removed and someone screwed one from a different Scout onto the heater box.
When he went through the “ Break In Title “ procedure I told Him, You get that fictitious plate removed, discarded and do the sherriffs inspection off of the frame numbers. Then it all will be correct to the vehicle.
It now is titled, registered in this county and good to go.
Break in title process is free, just have to pay the vehicle taxes on the last step of receiving the title.

I will say lookup Vice Grip Garage on YouTube and look for the video he posted on restoring one of these that was sitting for years. the video also shows one completely in mint condition too!

@MrMarty51 you have a Buick Grand National !!! do you know the value of those? That there along with that Scout are the last of their kind.
Just the engine.
I rounded up a bell housing and flywheel, all the clutch components and a 5 speed manual transmission to fit behind the GN engine.
I could go get the Regal that the engine came out of. He installed a new NA engine, got it fired and running and it has been setting ever since. I imagine the interior is quite trashed after setting outside for all these years.

Back