• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 Impala 3.8L problems

Grey Ghost

Reaction score
My son got in my 2000 Impala yesterday, turned the key to start it, and heard a loud "boom". He opened the hood and found the plastic intake manifold in about 20 pieces.

I can put a new intake on it, but what caused this to happen?? Timing chain?

Any input/suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW, the car has about 175K miles on it.

TIA.

It was caused by the fuel pressure regulator leaking. IIRC there is a TSB or recall on it, call your local dealer and see if they can fix anything for free under it. Get the APN upper intake, as it has a steel sleeve for the EGR, which normally melts through the plastic and causes coolant to leak into the engine. While you're at that point, replace the lower intake gaskets with the GM Aluminum gaskets.

Here's a good link on why the UIM's fail (EGR, not the explosion you experienced): http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1061

Also, have you had the valvecover gaskets replaced under the recall? Its free at the dealer.

I can PM you the link to the UIM if you want, not sure if I'm allowed to post it on here, since it's not from a site vendor. :thumbsup:

Also, in talking to "Jrs3800" the author of that article, he said to make sure the fuel rail wasn't bent when it exploded. Again, call the dealer, and see what they'll replace, and if nothing, you'll need to replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator, UIM and gasket (comes in that APN kit) and I recommend that you replace the LIM gaskets, as they fail, with the aluminum framed units from GM.

It's still sittin'. I haven't had a chance to tackle it.

Working too much overtime and having too much crappy weather (yes, even in South Texas). Don't have a good enclosed shop to do it in.

Hopefully will be able to tackle it on my next 7 days off week after next.

Thanks for asking.

Back