• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 Chevy Silverado 4.8. Transmission loses bite in Fw & Rv after a few minutes

Gate keeper

Rust Collection Agent # 1
Reaction score
I had a problem with a 4L60E transmission a while back. Up until the day it failed, I drove it without an issue. Then one day, I went to a convention in Orlando FL, about 40 minutes from the house. I parked it and went inside. When I came out. I hopped into the truck, started it and drove out of the parking lot. Still everything was normal. No smell, no noise. The transmission worked its way through the gears perfectly. Then without warning in 4th I think, it slipped into neutral. I didn't even realize it until I noticed it slowing down. It's a pretty quiet motor. So I pulled over and looked under the hood, hoping to find something. The transmission fluid had just been changed at a lube shop maybe 50 or 60 miles earlier. Maybe it was something with the fluid? I checked the stick. It was good, full and red. Now, I'm thinking I'll have to call a tow truck. I hopped back into the cab and called the wife to tell her I'll be late. Then for the heck of it, I started it, put it in gear and tried it again. It was like it never happened. What a sense of relief as I drove off. Then, not more than a mile down the road, it did it again. I thought, let's do a repeat and see what happens. Sure enough, it worked. Back on the road with a long highway ahead of me. I'm wondering, if this is going to kill the truck doing this, hauling aas and pulling over again and again. At worst I'll be back to calling a tow truck. All the way home that's what I did though, floor the gas, get up to about 60 or what was allowable until it went into neutral and coast until pulling over to repeat the cycle. I'd give it a minute and do it again over and over until I pulled into my driveway. The next day, just to see if my luck had changed, I tried it again.

Nothing changed in forward or reverse. I would work and then wouldn't. Let it sit and it's back for a minute.
That was a few years back. I had a suspicion back then, that it was one of the control solenoids inside the pan, maybe a crack that separates with heat or pressure. Maybe a loose harness connection or a short. But I didn't have time to look into it back then. So I bought another truck and parked this one until I'd have time to look at it. LOL. I still don't have the time. Now it sits on my property 20 minutes from here in the woods waiting for a miracle to happen. Why didn't I have someone else fix it you ask? I don't know. I think I've always hated someone else digging into my truck. Maybe you can relate, maybe not. ANYWAY, now I have someone who works for me that I want to help out, and give the truck to, if he can fix it. He could use it for jobs. I want to hook him up with subcontracting. I'll put it up on blocks if he wants to try his hand at getting it going. If he fixes it, he can have it. If he doesn't, oh well.

So finally, my question IS, can someone steer me in the right direction? I'd like to be able to just tell him to just change a solenoid or something simple, and it'll be good to go. Sorry about the story. Dave

x2.
Maybe filter/ seal not quite in all the way allowing aeration of the fluid? Same fix- new filter and seal.

2 decades on that truck, trans might be due...
How many miles and has it always had trans serviced on time? Much towing or weight?

Thanks Will L. 150k miles start, 200k stop. Bought it in 6/2012. Parked it in 2/2015. Some towing, rarely heavy. Was strong till the day of fate. Aeration possible. Filter and seal were new, but will check for tightness when pan drops.

I read somewhere about 3 years ago, that there is a main valve that controls the flow to both the forward and reverse valves. If that solenoid dies after heating up, that valve will close, causing the transmission to be disabled. I just can't remember where the heck I found that, but I'm leaning toward that theory. I'm not a transmission tech either, but I would expect a worn mechanical part would give minor indications as it progressed. An electric device, like a solenoid will just drop out when it has met it's time. I was hoping to find someone who was familiar with this situation. There's only been a couple of people like yourself who have offered any plausible advice though. Thanks. Dave

Back