• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2 speed rear end.

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is the best place to post this, if not maybe someone can move it.

There is a dump truck forsale and the air gizmo that shifts the rear end into hi isnt working so its stuck in low. Is there some way to manualy put one into hi?

How much are they asking for the truck?? Might call your local diesel shop and see what they'd charge to fix it..

Also "might" just be a bad valve not letting it shift. JMHO but IF the price is right might be worth it to go ahead and get it...

He wants $1500 but its 40 or 50 miles away. If its stuck in low im not sure how fast it would go. I wouldnt want to have to drive it 10mph. He also has no title for it.

What kind of shape is it in?? What engine, tranny, etc. You should be able to part it out for 2-3 times what you'd pay for it.. just a thought.

its a 87 chevy with a 8.2 detroit, its not rusted out but shows use and abuse.

Ive been trying to find out about getting a title but knowbody seems to know anything. I wouldnt have the time to part it out.

It would probably go 35-40. The way 2-speed rear ends work is like an additional overdrive, you split each gear, not like an auxillary box. So you shift 1 Lo, 1 Hi, etc. So you'd just shift it normally.

It would probably go 35-40. The way 2-speed rear ends work is like an additional overdrive, you split each gear, not like an auxillary box. So you shift 1 Lo, 1 Hi, etc. So you'd just shift it normally.

This.

Did that with a 26' rental Penske truck one time. Going 40 on the interstate with the engine screaming at 2500 and saying to myself WTF is going on here before looking at the shift diagram on the dash. That little lever made all the difference. Whoops.

Truth be told that I had no business driving that thing.

Last edited:
This.

Did that with a 26' rental Penske truck one time. Going 40 on the interstate with the engine screaming at 2500 and saying to myself WTF is going on here before looking at the shift diagram on the dash. That little lever made all the difference. Whoops.

Truth be told that I had no business driving that thing.

You see some crazy drivers in big rental trucks. Alot of crazy women, hitting signs and curbs.

That's why all the new ones have Allison trannies. Drives like a normal car, just bigger. We have a 65 C60 grain truck with the 2 speed rear, so that's how I know. ;)

Back