• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2 Dead holes on an 08 6.4 PSD

got-h2o

HillBilly Pimp
Reaction score
Just sharing, and not trying to rub it in, but...................A guy in town has a 2008 6.4 PSD that he uses for transporting his taxidermy, decor, natural furniture, etc... It's a crew cab box truck with a 12-14' box on it. Well, I guess on a trip to South Carolina or something, it quit. Diagnosis-2 dead cylinders. Supposedly it's pretty cashed. It's got over 50k already, but still. Ford approved the warranty work, but the worst part is that the box has to come off before they remove the cab to pull the motor. :yikes: I'll find out more details as it progresses.

WOW is all I can say to that situation.

Wow I can't beleave that! But all makes have there defects. Atleast it happend when it was still under warranty!

I have a 99psd tow truck and couldnt imagine removing the cab to replace the motor. If I had to remove the tow bed Id sell it! :incazzato:

I hear ya. I agree about factory defects, but the Ford/Navistar history with the 6.0L, this doesn't look good. I'd assume that not too many 08's have 50k on them yet.

i talked to a local guy yesterday that has an EGR problem w/ his 08 and they have to pull the cab for that too. how bad is it that they designed the truck to be able to take the cab of in under 2 hrs.

Last night after work my buddy showed me his new ford f-350 srw. real nice looking truck. After some time he opened the hood to show me how the engine was under the cab. WOW is all I said. You wouldn't realize it from the start but after the stack of rads it really pushes the engine back.

I had a 99 F-550 psd. It would crap out when I needed it most (time to go home). It was the stupid injector harness inside the valve cover. It would get loose and break the connection to an injector or two. I finally fixed it with the ford designed zip tie. Then no more problem. I was told about the "update" by a ford diesel tech, that actually was a skilled, knowledgeable tech. but at least the cab didn't have to come off.

Quality of the engine aside it really bad engineering that the cab has to come off for work, wonder how many people will want to own one of them when the warrenty is up

Ford has been doing the cab thing since 97 on the half tons when they got there make over. Dad was into Fords hardcore then and bought a 98 with a 5.4 and 00 with a 4.6 and a 01 with the 7.3 powerchoke. Lets just say the problems we had with those trucks made Ford leave our driveway for good the General is there to stay now. One of the main problems for us was not so much the trucks and there problems as it was our ford techs and who ever they call to verify waranty work. The cab came off 3 times on the 98 5.4 1 head gasket, some kind of problem with the emission equipment that caused the truck to idle at 2500rpms and last but not least the one sin that left it at the deal spun bearing. By that time the 4.6 was to weak to pull anything and 7.3 was was eatin tranny like a fat kid eats cake. I am not bashing in anyway, it just bothers me that Ford was so great up tell the mid 90's when they changed out all there tried and true power trains for untested unreliable replacements it is very sad Ford settled on the "it's good enough engineering". I hope they can figure out how to build tough trucks again.

No No No the hinge is outdated.

I got from Ford the new update for emergency cab removal. In the 08+ Ford F-250+ The tire iron will also come with a pack of matches tucked in side. Remove the matches, strike 1 match, light fuse located inside drivers door near bottom door seal. After fuse is light run 100ft within 15 seconds. Turn around to examine proper cab removal. :yesnod:

No No No the hinge is outdated.

I got from Ford the new update for emergency cab removal. In the 08+ Ford F-250+ The tire iron will also come with a pack of matches tucked in side. Remove the matches, strike 1 match, light fuse located inside drivers door near bottom door seal. After fuse is light run 100ft within 15 seconds. Turn around to examine proper cab removal. :yesnod:

well that sums it up after the :grouphug: it was decided this is the better idea.

I remove 7.3 and 6.0 without removing the cab. It much easier saves time and no pesky sqeeks when finished. Have not had the pleasure on a 6.4 yet

So I just drove a 6.4 here in the big beautiful baghdad, and I gotta tell you that thing may need it's cab off more than once. I know the guys over here pound on them but man this thing was hurtin bad for power and my battery went dead at a check point that is never fun. She has 18,XXX kilometers on her and I would guess to say at least 25-30 horses at the wheels. Yeah I said that right.

Ford has been doing the cab thing since 97 on the half tons when they got there make over. Dad was into Fords hardcore then and bought a 98 with a 5.4 and 00 with a 4.6 and a 01 with the 7.3 powerchoke. Lets just say the problems we had with those trucks made Ford leave our driveway for good the General is there to stay now. One of the main problems for us was not so much the trucks and there problems as it was our ford techs and who ever they call to verify waranty work. The cab came off 3 times on the 98 5.4 1 head gasket, some kind of problem with the emission equipment that caused the truck to idle at 2500rpms and last but not least the one sin that left it at the deal spun bearing. By that time the 4.6 was to weak to pull anything and 7.3 was was eatin tranny like a fat kid eats cake. I am not bashing in anyway, it just bothers me that Ford was so great up tell the mid 90's when they changed out all there tried and true power trains for untested unreliable replacements it is very sad Ford settled on the "it's good enough engineering". I hope they can figure out how to build tough trucks again.

i had to make this! :arf::arf:

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 16
Well, just thought about this thread b/c I saw the truck again and wanted to update. A month later this truck was back on the road on the way back up here..............when guess what????? Lost an oil line on the expressway pumping ALL of the oil out of the engine, and guess what happened next????????? Knocknocknocknock. Brand new motor cashed. Towed to the nearest dealer and repaired once again. It's now on it's third (2nd replacement) and doing good..............so far.

Back