• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1st year with the New Burban

Pruittx2

Been around a bit
Reaction score
My one year assessment.

Well coming up on 1 yr with the new girl, and all is as good as can be. Sure I've had to do a few things, I didn't think I'd have to, but for what I got and the money involved, I feel ahead of the game, and have a nice riding family rig.

Swapped the K47 off the old truck with the stock burb unit.
Fish bit, when I first bought it fixed with a lift pump. Fuel filter
installed duramax fan and new hd clutch assem
Switched over the Snoway mount bracket/wiring for the 7.6 Plow
New Ac Delco OPS for code 19,,
Replace leaking HydrooBoost unit, reman from O'rielys
Spray on bed liner to all lower doors rockers, and jambs
found bird under hood noise, that was missing bolts in A/C compressor bracket
Feed the beast mod.
Had a starter bolt drop out on dirt road on way to work,, found it 2hr later,
and reinstalled W/ loctite
Auto transmission failed while plowing. No Reverse. $2271. total rebuild.
replaced stock 105 amp Alt, with 96+ 145 Amp unit. mod'd brackets to fit.

IN the last 10 years, the 2nd owner had it before me, he put 20,000 miles on it!! So it sat more then ran,,, but now, it goes somewhere everyday. So daily use, will weed out the weak, for sure. It drives like a lazyboy recliner, and is as comfy too. Handles great, everything works, and looks good. So if I have it for the next 10 years,, and it holds, out. I'll be happy.

Ah hell who am I kidding,, I'm happy now! :driving:

No sir,,, PO, had installed a PosiLok as seen here. http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

I bought the PosiLok as a workaround solution to the thermoelectric, but the install for a Burb was awkward. I ended up installing the later model electric actuator and was very satisfied with that.

In general, these old Burbs will require their fair share of work to keep them running in top shape. If you do it yourself, it's relatively inexpensive vs the depreciation cost on a new vehicle. I like the concept of an old truck as I can use it hard and not worry about scratching or dinging it.

We're currently finishing up the rebuild on the front end suspension and steering on my son's '94 Suburban. Bought that thing for $3400 to replace his wrecked '95. We probably have $750 into parts and tools to do the front end, but that job would have been close to $2,000 at a shop. $2,000 vs the $3,400 purchase price would make one flinch, but $750 mostly parts doesn't.

To date we've stripped and installed the following from the '95 onto the '94:

1) 2.5" mandrel bent crossover pipe.
2) 3" Diamond Eye down pipe and 4" exhaust
3) Rancho 9000 shocks
4) Steering knuckles and basically brand new Timken bearing hubs
5) Basically new brake rotors
6) Steering box, adjusted and tightened
7) Boost, EGT and Tranny temp gauges and senders
8) Alcoa Wheels with center caps and BFG ATs w/ 50% tread left.

We still have the engine, Trans, transfer case, front differential, rear axle to harvest and some misc items like ABS, starter, HID head light system. All of that from a wreck he bought back from the insurance company for $400. Just the wheels alone justified that deal. When we're done stripping the '95, I'll put a tow strap around the roof and topple it over onto a flatbed trailer and haul it to the wrecking yard for scrap.

Back