• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1st Part fail at 195k on LBZ

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Just yesterday got a couple of codes telling me #6 glow is giving it up. 5 yrs-11mo and 195,000 miles and this is the 1st part ever to fail on the engine/drivetrain. I couldn't be more satisfied in that kind of longevity.
I'll have to see about finding another GP and take a look at that replace thread we have. Don't much need GPs at this time of year anyhow.

That is proof positive there is no doubting the reliability of the LBZ.

That's an easy fix for you Mike. I turned he key Monday morning and got a really long GP cycle followed up by a CEL. P0673 #3 GP out to lunch. Luckily I had one, took out the inner fender 10 minutes later all together and no more code.

Yep, P0676 after an extended glow cycle. Coded twice. Where did the new one come from/who has the best price? Ah...lightbulb lights... Kyle probably had some extras you picked up.

Yep, P0676 after an extended glow cycle. Coded twice. Where did the new one come from/who has the best price? Ah...lightbulb lights... Kyle probably had some extras you picked up.

I bought one from Grady when he sold his truck.... GM# 97364968

My best guess would be Rock auto...I got all new Bosch GP's for my rebuild for like $9 ea. at the time and used the discount code to boot!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IZ2DP2/?tag=jhuntlink-20 18.84 w/free shipping(on orders over $25)

Rock Auto: AC DELCO Part # 61G {#97364968} $16.58($15.75w/ discount code) +$5.95 USPS priority mail shipping
search 61g on their site

thats the two cheapest I've found

I'd go with Rock Auto Priority mail and you'd have it in 3 days tops...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I figured this was about the front bumper. :shrug:

It is pretty rare that these trucks break down.

With those miles, it shows that you take real good care of her Mike! Hey, whats the chance of more going out? Maybe order a few of them? Or is different than a 6.5 when 1 fails...they all go out soon after?

Piece of cake to change Mike. Takes longer to prepare for the change, than the change itself. Excellent longevity if taken care of and maintained properly, as we all do here! ;) That is a very minor issue, and I would not even call it a part failure. Hopefully you'll be good for another 195K! :D

I got mine glow plug at the dealer about 10 minutes away from me for about $25 or maybe even a little less.

Got it in the mail Saturday. Changed it and off we go. Took alot longer to pull back the wheel well than change the plug. Still...Less than 1/2 hr. Too hot so far for a glow cycle but I'm pretty sure I would have seen the code anyhow if it was something else.

Did you reset the DIC codes?

Yes I did. And I confirmed no codes through 2 glow cycles so end of problem. I put a dab of antiseize on the threads but there really was no problem loosening the old one. Wire connector was rusty as hell though but I hit it with a shot of Yield brand panther pi$$ first.

Just yesterday got a couple of codes telling me #6 glow is giving it up. 5 yrs-11mo and 195,000 miles and this is the 1st part ever to fail on the engine/drivetrain. I couldn't be more satisfied in that kind of longevity.
I'll have to see about finding another GP and take a look at that replace thread we have. Don't much need GPs at this time of year anyhow.

Very impressive indeed!

Question on glow plugs.

Are Bosch glow plugs any better than AC Delco? Is there a difference? What came as OEM on the engine? The price difference is huge. AC Delco are much cheaper. I just got the #8 error for a bad glow plug.

On edit. I just got this at the dealer. See photos.

Attachments

• DSCN9787.JPG
    DSCN9787.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN9788.jpg
    DSCN9788.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN9790.JPG
    DSCN9790.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back