• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1999 7.3 E350 starts after 4 to 5 turns of the key, runs for 30 seconds

1999e350

Reaction score
Ok, took a test light and tested the GPR and the AIR and both are working. Said to connect one end to the small and touch the other small and turn on the key, ok. It then said to hook the light to the negative battery terminal and touch one of the big termianls on each relay did and ok, then turn the key on and touch the other big terminal on each of the relays, did and ok.

Additioanl things I have done: change the oil filter because it was leaking bad, changed the battery-starter-alt.-oil cooler O rings, belt, glow plug relay,air intake relay, fender mounted starter solinoid, fuel filer. Again the engine only has about 50,000 and was running fine. The problem of me having to turn the key 4 or 5 times to get it to start and it still took some cranking and then once it stater only runs for about 30 seconds and to get it to start again I have to do the same thing again. Driving home one night and it started decharging. I really thought I had the wires screwd up on either the relays or the starter silonoid mounted on the fender but it turns over so I will assume this is wired right and if the test light process shown above is the correct way to test them than they are wired correct. Just makes no sense because this all started after I installed these items. Really need some help, thanks. PSA; I also noticed that the passengers side valve cover does not get warm like th drivers side does after it runs for the 30 seconds, coonection on passenger side valve cover gasket is good. Sorry but I forgot to mention that there is another big orange wire with a black strip on other side of the air intake relay but the other end was not hooked to anything, has a nut on it

Sounds like a fuel problem. Air in the lines or a lift pump failed.

I did nothing to the fuel system other than change the filter and the problem started before that? I'm assuming the glow plug relay is good sense it does start but I also hered that they can start on compression alone so I do not know.

Look in the v behind the fuel bowl see if its leaking. You will see a puddle in the v if it is. Re check everything you did make sure all the fuel boil and plug are plugged in. I will dig some links up for you I have a 99 with stage 2 injectors and php tuning. I can light the duallys. Up :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but it ended up being oil. After I changed the O rings on the oil cooler I ended up changing out a lot of other items because of a electrical problem and forgot to add the new oil. Started right up after a couple tries and seems to be good to go.

Back