• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1999 6.5 Suburban no start

toddlnrd

My first diesel!
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
My 1999 Suburban would not start this morning. The batteries are fairly new 5-6 months old and the motor turns over just like it always does (starter probably good too). I am getting fuel at the fuel filter and the oil pressure comes up while "cranking" it.

My fear is the IP, but it is only about 3 years old.

Any ideas? PMD?

My PMD is the Heath one relocated under the front plate.

Thank you,
Todd

Only way to test the PMD is to replace with a known good one. Is the security light staying on? From what I've read most of the time it will fire and then die with security issues. Normally the light goes out after a few seconds

Spare pmd is a must, like a spare tire. My suggestion is get the spare a lifetime warranty one, mounted on a heatsink and put a dummy plug in the other one. Then when any issues arise, you just move the wire over and are on your way.
If you drive around in the lifetime warranty one, and use tge old one as spare, and the warranty one dies, you still have transportation while shipping the dead one in for free replacement.

Pull codes. You get a SES and STS light after key on for a bulb check? - those lights indicate ECM is alive and has power.

I tried a new PMD and still nothing.

Any other suggestions?

I will try to crack open an injector to see if the IP is pumping.

Pull out the 6 easiest glow plugs and turn it over. It’s a lot easier on the starter and the engine will spin over a lot faster. If you see mist coming out the glow plug holes then you know the ip is pumping.

Clear line for the ip return line. it is 1/4" and you need 5"-^' long piece from any hardware store and 2 new screw style hose clamps. you can see if fuel is flowing and if there is air in the line.

Cracking the injector lines first is a good idea.
permanent mounted fuel pressure gauge tapped at the ip inlet is very helpful over the life of the rig also. low fuel pressure will make it run bad, hard start, and it burns out the ip really fast.

Did the ECM gots power suggestion pass or fail?

Thanks guys. It has been a crazy weekend +. A family member died and the funeral was yesterday. I should be able to get back on this soon.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Todd

Double check your PMD extension harness, I had one with bad crimp at pump end and took a log time to find the intermittent die / no start..

Apologize for the lateness in a reply.

At the risk of insulting, my vote is to check the under hood fuse box (ECM-B or ECM-1). Had this happen to me.

If it is a blown fuse, it might come from a weak common ground where IIRC it shares a point with the lift pump and OPS. Additional possible causes of this fuse blowing are the LP and / or OPS going bad (but not dead yet). When my fuse blew, I replaced the OPS and left the LP alone as I had moved it over to its own dedicated fused circuit.

Hey Guys,
My 1999 Suburban would not start this morning. The batteries are fairly new 5-6 months old and the motor turns over just like it always does (starter probably good too). I am getting fuel at the fuel filter and the oil pressure comes up while "cranking" it.

My fear is the IP, but it is only about 3 years old.

Any ideas? PMD?

My PMD is the Heath one relocated under the front plate.

Thank you,
Todd[/QUOTE a bad injection pump usually gives you warning signs at a time before they totally go... PMD is almost always the first thing you check if your getting fuel... If you own a you should have a PMD in your glove box waiting for you because inevitably it will go bad and you will be happy to have a spare..I actually have three extras under my backseat in my 97 dually..believe it or not temp control sensor can cause the same problem

Back