• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 6.5 Air intake heater

Dylly

Reaction score
Hi, i'm from up in Canada where it gets awful cold in the winter (-30 degrees celcius, or -25 degrees fahrenheit) depending on the day of course.

I was just wondering if anyone has adapted a cummins intake air heater or any other intake air heater for the 6.5L TD, suggestions, or any helpful advice.

I had everything to do it...I was going to use an intake heater off of a late 60's Case farm tractor...

Just need to thread it into the intake and hit it with a 12 volt relay...simple...

My thoughts started to outrun my progress... Is there any way that this heater could be set up to run off the intake temperature... for example, if the intake temperature is below 'x' degrees the intake heater runs, if not, it doesnt. Or are these intake air heaters only for assisting in starts, and aren't able to stand prolonged current? Reason being is that like today (-20 degrees C), my truck has some trouble putting out heat, and i would assume if the intake air was heated i would have a little more comfortable of a ride...

Steal your wife's hair dryer some cold morning and stuff it into the air intake boot for a while. You'll be amazed at how well it works!

Fyshguide did that, and if it works in Banff, it'll work anywhere.

Second gen powerstrokes use a heater in the last elbow before the engine. I understand it only comes on after the engine starts, to prevent white smoke. I was thinking about putting one on either side of the lower intake and using it on a push button for those really cold days. That's if I end up with an 18:1 engine. I'm still on the fence....

My thoughts started to outrun my progress... Is there any way that this heater could be set up to run off the intake temperature... for example, if the intake temperature is below 'x' degrees the intake heater runs, if not, it doesnt. Or are these intake air heaters only for assisting in starts, and aren't able to stand prolonged current? Reason being is that like today (-20 degrees C), my truck has some trouble putting out heat, and i would assume if the intake air was heated i would have a little more comfortable of a ride...

I would check your T stat, it should throw hot air.

This is my first winter with the truck, so i'll be honest, i dont know what the guy before me has in it. Ive got grill inserts to help it heat up but thats about it right now, havent changed the t-stat, but ill toss that on my list... what thermostat should i be running for the summer?

Ac delco or robertshaw only. Other brand thermostats don't seem to work right on the 6.5s for some unknown reason. I run 195f thermostat.

Sounds good, I'm here in saskatchewan, so anything alberta gets, we are near one in the same. Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but my 1998 should be running a dual thermostat set up... right?

Correct......180* (Robert Shaw Only) if you run on the hot side.....Otherwise AC Delco 195* (As stated above) for optimum fuel mileage and performance....These engines like the heat, but your cooling system needs to be pristine.

During the summer or our hot fall, the truck would get hot idleing in traffic... By hot i mean touching 100 degrees C (straight up and down on the dash cluster)... I am in the process of getting ScanXL to hook into my OBD II port and get a better ECU reading, but there was a time this summer that it puked some anti freeze out, so i'd assume its an accurate reading.

And yes, i do know that i was awful close to cracking a head, checked my blowby (nothing at all), and nothing in the engine oil... just a close call.

Oh thats a deadly easy system... now how much heat will that little element offer? Compared to what i saw dodge using with the cummins, that's an awful small coil... looks can be decieving though...

Back