• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 6.5 obd2 into 87 blazer

Could be. Im going to go up to the ranch this weekend to do a few things. Ill double check. Want to clean out the blazer and do a bit of prep as well.

check out jaguars that run. They have speedo adapters that will run the cable and also the electronics for the ECM.
Add a leaf or two to the front springs should help.
An interesting project for sure.
I do have in My stash a gauge cluster with the electronic speedo in it. Came from an 87 or so suburban. it is niot for sale though, I have a 78 K20 that I am thinking of doing the TBI or port injection to the 400 small block. I also have one each of those. LOL

There are some drop in electronic gauge kits for these trucks with obdII interfaces. A bit spendy but it would sort out that issue. Would still need to sort out a passenger drop t case. Or find a driver side d44 i guess.

Found a deal on an 82 blazer. Picking it up tonight. 305 or 350 on propane. Hopefully aside from the diesel swap parts ill have everything i need between the 2 trucks.

check out jaguars that run. They have speedo adapters that will run the cable and also the electronics for the ECM.
Add a leaf or two to the front springs should help.
An interesting project for sure.
I do have in My stash a gauge cluster with the electronic speedo in it. Came from an 87 or so suburban. it is niot for sale though, I have a 78 K20 that I am thinking of doing the TBI or port injection to the 400 small block. I also have one each of those. LOL
Those speed sensors don't work that good when the ecm needs the signal for shifting the trans. Cables tend to not run the smoothest and gives an unsmooth speed reading which causes the ecm to limp. The jtr sensor does work great for 700r's to get a lockup speed signal or a speed reading to the ecm to keep it happy.

Thanks, that is some good info. I wasnt aware of the electric cluster being available.

I was thinking i would make all the mechanical gauges work or replace them and leave the obdII dash connections disconnected(mostly at at least). Just wasnt sure if it would run or if there was security of some form.

As for the tcase i need to do some more research. I was reading that a dodge nv241 that has a VSS and mech speedo output. VSS would need to be switched with the chevy one to my understanding but i was thinking i could make it work. Then i could use the mech speedo. In theory at least. Would probably need to swap some other bits too.

Electric cluster might be better/ easier though....
I wasn't aware Dodge had a right hand drop 241. What you can do is get a GM 241 right hand drop and do a slip yoke eliminator, but get one with a cable drive speedometer. Then add the reluctor to the output of the trans, and hook the speedo up to the transfer case. And the Dodge 241 has a slightly different bolt pattern to it just to throw a monkey wrench into your plan.

Those speed sensors don't work that good when the ecm needs the signal for shifting the trans. Cables tend to not run the smoothest and gives an unsmooth speed reading which causes the ecm to limp. The jtr sensor does work great for 700r's to get a lockup speed signal or a speed reading to the ecm to keep it happy.

I saw the jags the run ones, as well as dakota digital and a few other places. there are 2 types i have found with 2 mountings. one is an inline one that allows the cable to pass thru to the stock dash, and one that just provides pulse signal and requires a digital speedo. most of them mount right at the transmission, so that should give a smooth signal as it is effectively a straight connection to the speed drive gear. the others can be remote mounted in the dash behind the gauge or somewhere in line with the cable, which i agree would give a terrible signal.

I wasn't aware Dodge had a right hand drop 241. What you can do is get a GM 241 right hand drop and do a slip yoke eliminator, but get one with a cable drive speedometer. Then add the reluctor to the output of the trans, and hook the speedo up to the transfer case. And the Dodge 241 has a slightly different bolt pattern to it just to throw a monkey wrench into your plan.

i wasn't clear there. i ran across a thread that someone used i think have a chevy and half a dodge case to do it. This was earlier in my research and wont be something ill be trying.

i expect i will use a long input 85-91 np205 with from a th400. an adapter ring for that is a a bit over $100 and then i can use a trans mounted pulse generator with a pass thru and the stock dash. there are also options to have the rear np205 housing fitted with a reluctor wheel and a VSS. this would mean switching to a digital dash though. a 208 could probably also work. see what i find.

I'm going to experiment with the 96 at some point and see what wiring the computer will refuse to run without. if it cant do what i want ill just find a pre 93 donor. converting this all over to mechanical and standalone trans control just doesn't make sense cost wise. be cheaper just to buy a mechanical truck.

So this the 82 i picked up. 6hr round trip to get it, sight unseen. but it was cheap. and it is pretty complete, fairly solid and runs and drives. Its a silverado too. motor has long tube headers an edelbrock intake and MT valve covers, but i doubt anything internal. it is gutless. 305 i think. runs well but feels like less power than my previous 6.2s and most people call them gutless. maybe needs some tuning... but it wont be staying so not a big deal.

lovely mossy hood. ugly grille. passenger rocker is shot. bondo here and there. front fenders are solid. inner fenders are new.
20181104_135927.jpg
Tailgate is workable, but the 87s is better. canopy and door will come off the 87. bit to much bondo on the rear fenders. probably will get a patch panel or 2 and weld them in.
20181104_135909.jpg
seats are bit dirty but intact. and the houndstooth pattern has kinda grown on me. :woot:
20181104_140011.jpg

floor is pretty solid. might need a few patches, hopefully not much. need new glass front and rear. somehow the rear window is cracked, tempered glass usually shatters, but this one stayed together... sort of.

This is the 96. the body has seen better days. and the interior too.
20181104_143047.jpg
rear ended by a semi.. so to speak. Sister spun out in the snow trying to stop for a semi that was stopped in the middle of a hill on the coquihalla hwy and hit it backwards. :hilarious:

dad cut out the damaged area to make it into some sort of flat bed-esque thing.
20181104_143111.jpg

Last edited:
rear ended by a semi.. so to speak. Sister spun out in the snow trying to stop for a semi that was stopped in the middle of a hill on the coquihalla hwy and hit it backwards. :hilarious:

So was this featured on TV: "Highway Thru Hell, Eh?"

Last edited:
Well I had a bit of good luck and picked up an M1008. Lifted on 35s with a gear vendors OD. Almost no rust. Needs some work in the dash and some paint. Couldnt pass it up.

Probably won't bother with the swap now. Will still patch up the 82 blazer though.

Attachments

• IMG_20190126_163213_6.jpg
    IMG_20190126_163213_6.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 8
Back