• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 Parking brake pedal pad replacement?

SmithvilleD

Reaction score
Does anybody know a part number for parking brake pedal pad to fit the earlier GMT400's?

Most all replacements I find attach via a couple rubber barbs/nipples, thru two holes in pedal pad metal. Guessing that design became std 96 & up.

My 95's pedal pad appears to attach to a metal backing plate that pedal pad surrounds. Then this metal backing plate attaches to parking brake pedal mechanism via some metal tabs on the backing plate that get folded over to hold it on.

Yeah, that's looking like the most easily available option. Just a bit of a pita to get at those tabs holding it on. Guess should practice by yanking my truck's old one first.

Seems like the parts you gotta be upside down to pull,... at the yard are always somehow facing so they're in the dark, but the sun shines directly in your eyes :)

Yank the entire parking brake pedal assembly. Cut the cables on the junkyard truck for faster removal. Quicker than bending tabs even on re-install.

Agreed. I wonder if there's any advantage or improvement in the later model GMT400's parking brake mechanism?

It's getting connected to the newer style 14 bolt out of a gasser GMT800 so operating the pbrake shoes inside the rotor hat. Haven't compared to know if there's notably different range of motion to apply the parking brake on these. Taking forever to finish these projects as I go overboard on detailing. But on the upside, with both front & rear GMT800 disc brakes, on a lighter truck, this thing oughta stop well & brakes should have longer service life.064.jpg 061.jpg

The newer GM parking brakes were so bad they went back to drums on 1/2 tons. Notice I didn't use the word Emergency Brake as the 4 disc GM designs weren't...

Yep & understand. I want the braking performance with a loaded trailer. Being discs, it'll be acceptable if they just hold my manual trans truck stationary a bit better than the Toronado calipers, which have an even worse mechanical pbrake mechanism.

What kind of issues do folks have with these newer pbrakes? Limited brake holding? Seize up from non-use? Just wondering if there's any logical maintenance or prep I could do to minimize shortcomings.

With so few manual trucks anymore, imagine the pbrakes aren't used very often on most trucks.

I blasted the calipers & powder coated them. Pads slide correctly on the caliper ledges. Be interesting to see how long it takes for pads to wear thru the coating on the ledge. Ought to delay corrosion there a while.

I did go to the point of swapping a 6.5 truck pedal rod into the newer hydroboost so using the master cylinder that matches front & rear 2 piston calipers.

Mainly 1/2 tons - they don't hold and can grind into the drum till the rotor literally falls off. Adjust them once maybe then replace everything including the actuators. Need 12" calipers to adjust them properly. Seriously this is one of the few 'dealer repairs' one should have done as they take the liability and are one of the few places that can get the damned thing to work properly. Use once while rolling and they need an adjustment or replacement. GM has revised clips to hold the brake shoe assembly, but, the design is only a couple dead bodies short of a recall.

Sure general ignorant DD public doesn't use P Brakes often even when they should, but, when you need them they need to work. And this is why there isn't a general recall. Note MT trucks did have a recall on them.

I think the 3/4 ton+ P Brakes are different design. However they are still light duty vs. the old drum brake design.

The 1/2 tons would eat a lot of dirt and grind the rear rotors up at low miles. So GM revised the dust shields on the 1/2 tons. I don't know if the 3/4t+ had this issue.

I'll see if I can find somebody with one of the rare 2500/3500HD's with a manual trans - and see what their experience is.

With a trailer, I wouldn't trust the parking brake alone, unless spot is so level it's not important.

Back