• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 k-3500 i want to add cruise control ?

vaicase

Reaction score
i have a 1995 6.5 diesel engine. the truck is a base. so it has no options. i want to add cruise control. i checked with a company called. rostra. they said they have a universal kit. if mine has a throttle cable. well it dont. it is drive by wire. ive been told that aint possible. as the newer diesels are drive by wire ,not mine. the dealer here says the book says it should have a cable. it just has a pedal driver hooked to the pedal. i dont know if its stock. it is 4wd ,auto trans, so can someone please tell me? what can i do?

Last edited by a moderator:
why couldn't you attach the throttle pull cable to your gas pedal? There are dip switches on the control unit to adjust rate of throttle response. Those rostra units are great. I adapted one to my cycle with great results. You looking at the vacuum or electronic one?

All you need is a fuze and a blinker switch with the cruise set up. Your computer has cruise capability programmed in it.

x2. That's all i did on my base model 96. It works perfectly too.

To the OP, yes your truck is drive by wire, and yes it was factory. All 6.5s in pickups(not sure on vans/special application setups) were drive by wire from 1994 up to 2000 when the 6.5s production in vehicles was stopped(save for the military vehicles of course).

i wish somebody would please explain how to hook it up then. is there a post or diagrahm somewhere? i dont want to mess my computer up. thank you much

Correct. Worked on both although currently not working on my 98, Not due to install. There is something wrong with my truck. I must stress that you check for codes first. 94-95's tend to have a code 41 stored without the CEL light on and that will prevent the cruise from working. Make sure you check for ANY codes, otherwise not bad to do. I did it without pulling the steering wheel but always be mindful of the SRS(airbag).

Back