• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 GMC 2500 4l80e put in my 2000 Chevy K2500 problems!

harleyman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
DIY’er here. First time on a forum and I know very little about transmissions. With that said, here is my issue. I had my transmission go out on my 2000 K2500 and I bought a 1995 GMC 2500 for a parts truck for the Chevy (both diesel’s). However after getting the 95’ home it is in much better shape and after he told me it wasn’t running, I took on trying to get it running and lo and behold I did just that and drove it down the road! So I decided to make it a build project. So with my tranny going out on my 00’ Chevy I decided to swap it out to save time and money because I also use my Chevy to plow snow and need it done asap. So I swapped them out and of course realized during this that there were a few minor foreseeable changes in these 2 years between the 95’ and the 00’. So along with this and reading a free things and trying to learn a little bit along the way, I pulled the pan and bought the new internal harness and solenoid kit that is sold for the 4l80e along with a new filter. So after chasing all this out and making the minor changes needed like transmission fluid lines to be altered to move to the fronts by the bell housing. After it’s all said and done I hooked up all my electrical connections and started up the truck to take it down the road. Well low and behold that 4l80e swap I thought would be ready turns out, not so much! Now I have NO gears including Reverse. I also have No reverse lights. So I have been researching and head scratching like crazy to find out what i obviously did Not know! Most of what I can find leads towards issues and changes do to the difference of 4l80e’s over the years. So I am under the understanding that my problem is basically electronic/programming?.?.? And so PCM or ECU or something is not allowing it or recognizing something? So I’m curious if someone on here can help me understand if that is for sure my problem, please feel free to help me and give me direction. I now know I should have done a little research first but like I said, I’m new it a lot of this. Thank you so much for any and All help and advice!

Hi, welcome and yes you did.
Problem why folks aren’t answering is- we have a few guys that pop in from time to time snd seem to know everything transmission related like back of their hands.
So we’re hoping they show up with the right answer to help you get out of the pickle.

Had you asked this before having done it, you would’ve heard a resounding “NO DON’T DO IT”. Many of us learned the hard way, and many more hhave read along as people fight similar fight you have of trying to combine or swap transmissions from one year to the next. Back in the 70’s rigs it was no big deal. These are not like those at all.

It isn’t just programming there are hard parts to deal with more than you listed and some are nla.
Take your trans to a KNOWN RELIABLE rebuild shop. Stamp your name into the housing and be 100% clear you only want your trans- not a swap. iirc that 95 is one that has a hard to get reluctor set up in it.

Now that you see it definitely wasn’t faster to do it this way- ya gotta trust that it won’t be cheaper long term either. And no I am not an “all original stuff is best” guy either.

Hi, welcome and yes you did.
Problem why folks aren’t answering is- we have a few guys that pop in from time to time snd seem to know everything transmission related like back of their hands.
So we’re hoping they show up with the right answer to help you get out of the pickle.

Had you asked this before having done it, you would’ve heard a resounding “NO DON’T DO IT”. Many of us learned the hard way, and many more hhave read along as people fight similar fight you have of trying to combine or swap transmissions from one year to the next. Back in the 70’s rigs it was no big deal. These are not like those at all.

It isn’t just programming there are hard parts to deal with more than you listed and some are nla.
Take your trans to a KNOWN RELIABLE rebuild shop. Stamp your name into the housing and be 100% clear you only want your trans- not a swap. iirc that 95 is one that has a hard to get reluctor set up in it.

Now that you see it definitely wasn’t faster to do it this way- ya gotta trust that it won’t be cheaper long term either. And no I am not an “all original stuff is best” guy either.
Oh man do I wish I did exactly as you are telling me now!! Ha. Thanks for all the info. and understanding how this forum works and the advice and help for my current transmission issues. This community of guys all seem to be a great bunch just helping each other out!

That’s hard to come by sometimes but always appreciated!! I will keep digging and working on where I go from here after my shameful lesson learned!

Thank you Will L.

If your transmission is in working order it will have reverse and 2nd gear
when you unplug the main trans electrical connector on the drivers side.
Either year PCM will control the 4L80, there are no differences as far as
that is concerned.
Thanks you Gladiator!

So good to know. It was working great in the 95’ before I started tearing it down as a project truck. I work days this weekend and so I will take a look at that first thing Monday just so I can confirm things from there. I truly appreciate all the help and advice, you guys are Fantastic!

Thanks again! 🙏🏼

Back