• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 6.5 wont start

cookman7

cookman7
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just bought a 1995 6.5 it cranks but wont start, no glow plug light and no fuel out of the injector lines, i have checked all fuses all are good and my lift pump runs and is putting fuel to the filter, i crossed the big wires on the glowplug module and make them come on replaced the module still not working i am thinking pcm because no fuel out of injector pump, no glow plugs, and fuel guage went way past fuel at same time what do you think

At the top of the 6.5 Home Page there are the stickies, copy the "Diagnostic Checklist" and paste it in a post and answer all the questions. It'll help us help you. Leo
  • Edit: BTW welcome!

diagnostic checklist 95 no start

6.5 Engine Diagnostic Troubleshooting Checklist

Copy and paste this checklist into a new post, then answer all the questions by typing in your data into the blanks as indicated - click in the middle of the blank, start typing.

Problem: Explain your problem in concise language (ie: Cranks but won’t fire). __________________cranks wont statr__________

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: __95____
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) ___3500______
- Automatic or Standard _____standard_____
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) ____180000mi_____
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) _____glow plug mod.______
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? _____turbo_________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) _____35f_____
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) ____#1_____
- What fuel additives are you using? ___power service________
- Where are you located? _____mo.________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter ___ok______
- Fuel filter __ok_______
- CDR Valve? ___?______
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at ____?_________
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at _____rotella 15-40______
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at ______ok_______
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): _______ok_______
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? _____?____ What type? _____?________
- Injectors - last changed at ______?_________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? ____just bought it not running__________
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? _____________
- Has this problem ever happened before? _________?______________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. _____no glow plugs no fuel fuel guage way past full_________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) _n___ And? ________

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? ___n______
1b] Does the engine crank over? __y______
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? __y_______
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? ____y____
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? ____n_____
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? ____n_____ For how long? _________
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? ___n_____

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? ____y________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? ____y_____
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ____y_______
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? ____n_____
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? ____tank has little pressure _______

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) _____pump______
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? _________
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. ____all i found ok_____
3d] PMD Make: _____?______
3e] PMD Age: ______?_______

4] Stalling Issues
4a] Do you experience stalling only when hot? ____________
4b] Does it stall under particular circumstances? (ie hit bump, or on accel) ______
4c] Does pouring cool water over the IP seem to help with restarting? _________
4d] Is stalling momentary (engine recovers)? _________
4e] Does SES light come on when engine hiccups? _________
4f] Does cruise control quit working when engine hiccups? ___________
4g] Does re-starting seem to reset engine, restoring cruise and power? _________
4h] Changes to dash lights or instruments during stalling events? ___________

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? _______
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? _______
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? __________
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? _________
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? __________

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges? ___________
6b] Maximum boost under load? ____________
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? ______________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? ________________
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum? ______________

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? ____________
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? _________
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? ____________
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? ________
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? __________
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? ___________

diagnostic check

6.5 Engine Diagnostic Troubleshooting Checklist

Copy and paste this checklist into a new post, then answer all the questions by typing in your data into the blanks as indicated - click in the middle of the blank, start typing.

Problem: Explain your problem in concise language (ie: Cranks but won’t fire). __________________cranks wont statr__________

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: __95____
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) ___3500______
- Automatic or Standard _____standard_____
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) ____180000mi_____
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) _____glow plug mod.______
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? _____turbo_________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) _____35f_____
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) ____#1_____
- What fuel additives are you using? ___power service________
- Where are you located? _____mo.________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter ___ok______
- Fuel filter __ok_______
- CDR Valve? ___?______
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at ____?_________
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at _____rotella 15-40______
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at ______ok_______
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): _______ok_______
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? _____?____ What type? _____?________
- Injectors - last changed at ______?_________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? ____just bought it not running__________
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? _____________
- Has this problem ever happened before? _________?______________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. _____no glow plugs no fuel fuel guage way past full_________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) _n___ And? ________

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? ___n______
1b] Does the engine crank over? __y______
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? __y_______
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? ____y____
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? ____n_____
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? ____n_____ For how long? _________
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? ___n_____

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? ____y________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? ____y_____
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ____y_______
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? ____n_____
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? ____tank has little pressure _______

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) _____pump______
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? _________
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. ____all i found ok_____
3d] PMD Make: _____?______
3e] PMD Age: ______?_______

You have no glow plug light when you turn the key on? Where is the PMD/FSD mounted? and Welcome to DTR!

With the lack of glows I would suspect grounds. There are many ground straps besides the bat. grounds. Look carefully for them. The passenger wheel well has to come out to get to a couple of them. Shine them up. Also make sure the fuel shut off sol (fso) is working. It is the cyl. shaped thing on the top front off the IP the size off a roll of coins. Check the fso fuse in the engine fuse block, shine the spades up. The Ign. switch could also be the problem. Leo

Merged threads... didn't figure we needed two of them floating around.

Hey Cookson - just a few random thoughts...

- did the previous owner tell you if the truck had been running before he did the glow-plug mod? Check the wiring against the glow-plug-mod writeup in our reference section... make sure the wiring is correct.

- have you checked the fuses (esp the ECM-B fuse under the hood)?

- Pull off your turbo cover, loos through as much of your wiring as you can under the hood, and then look in behind the glove box (where the PCm hides) and inspect the wiring there, as well. Look for obvious shorts or bare spots.

- check your engine-frame and engine-body ground points (woven straps, rear of block, passenger side) as well as your battery grounds.

At the moment, your issue is electrical... and until we can get some baselines, it could be anywhere... doesn't have to be PMD.

:iagree:

CheckList say's grounds are *OK*... What exactly do you mean:confused:
These *fly by wire* systems are really into solid grounds and electrical connections in general. Sometimes just shaking a bad connection will find a weak point - leave the key on - or you can take a jumper cable from a negative battery post and try it here and there to find a bad ground.

And :welcome8: I think you'll like it here :smile5:

the battery grounds are the only grounds i checked, all fuses are good tested with a test light , i was thinking ground problem but cant find pcm ground thanks for the location info on the woven wire grounds i will go check them tonight, the guy i bought it from said he shut it off one night and the next morning it wouldnt start, it has been sitting 3 months, i put the glow plug mod on yesterday and no change, i tested my 3 wire plug on my glow plug mod i have power and ground but i am not getting signal from pcm i tested it with a volt meter and for a split second after turning on my ign. it went to 2 volts on my signal wire. the ip mod. is still on the pump. i cant find any schematics to tell if im getting signal from my pcm to my injection pump thanks for the help so far

how to test

how do i test the fuel shut off there is 2 wires on it what should i look for on those wires and how would i test the ignition switch it makes sense it could be it.

The fuel shut off can be checked by holding it's body and removing and replacing the fuse, the ign. must be on, engine stopped. You should hear and feel it click. I don't know about the Ign. switch. Leo

THANK YOU, FIXED kind of

i cant believe it i did like you guys told me and checked all grounds and low and behold ground on back of block was broke repaired it and in 5 minuites the truck is running like a new one thank all of you very much you saved me alot of money that i dont have.
BUT i test drove the truck everything was great until i slid her into fifth gear and nothing just like nuetral no grind just nothing i talked to a guy who told me sometimes on those you can pull the transfer case and tighten a nut that holds fifth gear in place is this true? or am i looking at a rebuild

Back