• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 6.5 is playing "Hard to Get"... she won't start

Chefboy

Reaction score
OK, she's playing "Hard to Get... she won't start. I thought it was because of the extreme cold (last weekend), but that can't be the problem, b/c it's been in the 30's to 50's the past several days. I went ahead and changed out the fuel filter in order to rule that out. I've had it plugged in to warm it up, but my heater is just one of those lame magnetic ones, so I have been trying to raise the ambient temperature by using a hairdryer through the intake. I loosened the front driver's side fuel line at the injector, and fuel comes out when I crank it. I'm getting ready to clean and retighten all grounds, but in the meantime, maybe I'm missing something? By the way, I am not a mechanic, but I have learned how to work on this beast... lots of blood, sweat, and tears have found their home in the engine bay. I have the super thick service repair manuals, but you guys are much more helpful that those things!

I'll start with the following:

Problem: Explain your problem in concise language (ie: Cranks but won’t fire). It cranks but won't fire

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: 1995
- Truck model and class: GMC 6.5TD K2500 4WD Suburban SLE
- Automatic
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) 233,120 miles
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) Work Done (Date of Installation Indicated):

2 New Optima Red Top Batteries (10-17-09)
New SS Diesel Supply PMD on HeatSync with #9 Resistor (10-24-09) - mounted remotely
New Fuel Shut Off Solenoid (11-18-09)
New Wastegate Boost Solenoid (11-18-09)
New ECM Coolant Temp Sensor and Pigtail (11-18-09)
New Vacuum Pump and Lines (11-23-09)
New Glow Plug Controller/Relay (12-5-09)
New SS Diesel Supply "Instant-Heat" Glow Plug Set (12-5-09)
New SS Diesel Supply Glow Plug Terminal Connectors (12-5-09)
New High Torque Gear Reduction Starter (03-23-10)
New SS Diesel Fuel Supply/Lift Pump Relay (3-31-10)
New SS Diesel Locking Gas Cap (3-31-10)
New SS Diesel ECM Computer (3-31-10)
New SS Diesel Glow Plug Override Kit (5-17-10)
New SS Diesel Cooling System Upgrade with 130 GPM Water Pump, Dual Thermostat Crossover Pipe, Pump and Backing Plate Gaskets, Two 180 degree High Flow Thermostats with O-Rings, Upper Radiator Hose, Lower Radiator Hose, Bypass Hose, Heater Hose Connector, and 21” GM Duramax HD Cooling Fan with Special Fan Clutch (3-22-11)
New Duralast Serpentine Belt (3-22-11)
New SS Diesel 14 Gauge 409 Stainless Steel 4” Exhaust System with 2.25” Crossover Pipe, 3” to 4” Downpipe, Mandrel Bent Exhaust System with Straight Thru Stainless Steel Muffler (4" in and out), Stainless Steel Clamps and Hangers (3-26-11)
Walking J Designs “Feed The Beast 2.0” 3/8” Braided Fuel Line with Fittings (Fuel Filter to I.P.) (5-4-11)
Duel Heated (12 volt and Coolant, 140 – 180 Degree) Fuel Filter with Viton Seals, Clear Heat-Treated Glass Bowl & Drain Valve. Flow Rate is 6-8 GPM. Filter is 10 micron. (5-4-11)
New Viton Fuel Line (into Fuel Filter Inlet) and Return Lines (at the Injectors) (5-4-11)
New SS Diesel High Performance Marine Injectors (9-5-11)
New Fuel Filter (2-16-12)

- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? F - Turbo
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) 55*F
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) Sam's Club Diesel
- What fuel additives are you using? DieselKleen additive
- Where are you located? My Driveway in Prairie Village, KS

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter: 9/11
- Fuel filter: 2/16/2012
- CDR Valve? _________
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at: 3/11
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at: Mobil 1 Delvac 1300 15W-40 & Lucas Oil Stabilizer on 9/11
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at: 2 New Optima Red Top Batteries on 10/09
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): will do today
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? 25K? What type? SS Diesel Supply "Instant-Heat" Glow Plug Set (12-5-09)
- Injectors - last changed at: Marine Injectors (9-5-11)

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? Early morning starting in below zero temps, cranked but wouldn't fire
- How was the truck running before this problem appeared? like a top!
- Has this problem ever happened before? I've had issues with air in the fuel lines, and bad glow plugs... this seems similar
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. I don't have a clue
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? Yes And? 14, 29

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? No
1b] Does the engine crank over? Yes
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? Yes
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? Getting ready to do that next
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? I don't see a "Wait to Start" light at all when I turn the key
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? yes For how long? 1/2 second (I have a Glow Plug Override Push Button)
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? No
1h] Does the Service Engine Light Glow during Start/bulb check? Yes

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? Yes
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? This was removed when I installed an after market fuel filter assembly (problematic, I know)
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? ___________
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? Yes!!
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? I did. cap is loose now. It is a Diesel Fuel Cap.

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) Remote mounted
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? After market - good condition
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. Need to check all grounds
3d] PMD Make: SS Diesel Supply
3e] PMD Age: 2years 4months

4] Stalling Issues
4a] Do you experience stalling only when hot? never
4b] Does it stall under particular circumstances? (ie hit bump, or on accel) no
4c] Does pouring cool water over the IP seem to help with restarting? _________
4d] Is stalling momentary (engine recovers)? _________
4e] Does SES light come on when engine hiccups? _________
4f] Does cruise control quit working when engine hiccups? It quits when I use my blinker
4g] Does re-starting seem to reset engine, restoring cruise and power? _________
4h] Changes to dash lights or instruments during stalling events? ___________

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? _______
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? no
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? no
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? no
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? no

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges (boost, EGT) ? not yet, but Christmas is coming!
6b] Maximum boost under load? ____________
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? ______________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? Yes
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum (OEM)? ______________

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? Dual
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? SS Diesel Cooling System Upgrade with 130 GPM Water Pump, Dual Thermostat Crossover Pipe, Pump and Backing Plate Gaskets, Two 180 degree High Flow Thermostats with O-Rings, Upper Radiator Hose, Lower Radiator Hose, Bypass Hose, Heater Hose Connector, and 21” GM Duramax HD Cooling Fan with Special Fan Clutch (3-22-11)
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? 3-22-11
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? 3-22-11
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? __________
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? no

List and describe any other factors which are not addressed in this checklist. We can’t see, hear, smell, or touch your truck, so the more descriptive information you can give, the more likely it is that somebody can assist you.

what's your cranking speed like? needs to be pretty fast. if you've cranked it alot trying to start it it may be flooded. also have you checked your glows those insta heats from SSdiesel are junk IMO

what's your cranking speed like? needs to be pretty fast. if you've cranked it alot trying to start it it may be flooded. also have you checked your glows those insta heats from SSdiesel are junk IMO

Cranking speed seems normal. I don't think it's flooded, b/c I usually wait a good 5 to 10 minutes between cranks... so I can chase rabbits. What glows do you recommend?

also waiting won't unflood a diesel, diesel won't evaporate like gas. the more I think about it my moneys on the glows

You have no wait to start light!.
Check glow circuit,check 30 amp aux fuse towards the firewall in underhood fuse box
I don't recall ever seeing a "wait to start" light... where is it on the gauge panel?
I'll go locate the glow circuit... and check the 30 amp fuse.

You have no wait to start light!.
Check glow circuit,check 30 amp aux fuse towards the firewall in underhood fuse box

You NEED WTS light, "CLICK" and "PURR" of the Lift Pump...........Check the GROUNDS at the back of the intake (Pass side).....The 2 on the Trans dipstick stud and the 2 on the last intake bolt.

They all come out of the Harness in that general area, check if any are Loose, Broke, Dirty.

WTS Ghost...?

You NEED WTS light, "CLICK" and "PURR" of the Lift Pump...........Check the GROUNDS at the back of the intake (Pass side).....The 2 on the Trans dipstick stud and the 2 on the last intake bolt.

They all come out of the Harness in that general area, check if any are Loose, Broke, Dirty.

WTS Ghost...?

I have cleaned/checked all grounds. They are all good.
I still am not sure I have ever seen the WTS light... When I turn the key, on the left side of the instrument panel I see the SES light, Service Throttle Soon light, Water In Fuel light, Glow Plug Light, Check Gauges light, Battery symbol light, Airbag light, & on the right side of the instrument panel, I see the Parking Brake light, ABS light, and Low Coolant light. Where is the WTS light in relation to these other lights?
When I turn the key, I also hear the Glow Plug click on, but I do not hear the lift pump clicking at all until I turn the ignition off.

I have a Glow Plug Override Button that I have used for those really cold mornings. When pushed, the Glow Plug Light comes on until I let go, regardless of whether or not the key is on. As I understand it, this completely bypasses the Glow Plug Relay (whether it's good or bad). So if the Glow Plug Relay is bad, could that be the source? My point is that if I can preheat the glow plugs without the need for the Relay, and yet the truck won't start regardless of the perceived preheat, then the glow plugs could be the source of the problem... in theory. Is this possible?

You note you have a SS diesel PMD kit. If it is on the manifold it is probably cooked, but you said it was remotely mounted so I don't know if it is or isn't. The fuel you are getting from a cracked injector line may be just residual fuel dripping out, because if the engine is getting fuel it will run. Try misting a little WD40 ( NO ETHER ) into the intake while cranking and if it runs for a moment , you can be pretty sure it is not getting fuel. My $.02

You note you have a SS diesel PMD kit. If it is on the manifold it is probably cooked, but you said it was remotely mounted so I don't know if it is or isn't. The fuel you are getting from a cracked injector line may be just residual fuel dripping out, because if the engine is getting fuel it will run. Try misting a little WD40 ( NO ETHER ) into the intake while cranking and if it runs for a moment , you can be pretty sure it is not getting fuel. My $.02

I have a spare PMD, so I might test that and see if that's the problem.

95's dont have WTS they are equiped with Glow Plug light. They also dont preprime the LP like OBD2.

Check for power at the GP's, they should get 12V. If they arent then the relay is bad or you have a bad wire somewhere.

If you have fuel when the injector is cracked open the PMD is at least working somewhat,but if you have no smoke of any kind from the exhaust-the glow plugs are not working for whatever reason.
They may be burnt out from the glow override or they may not be receiving power-diagnosing the glow plugs is job #1.

I have a 95 when I first brought it home the next morning it wouldn't start. I plugged it in for a couple of hours (at the time it was 50 degree's outside) but it still wouldn't start.
Checked the glows and it had 5 bad glows, changed them and it started right up.

Mark

Well, all of my glows were fried, so I've got them replaced with Bosch Duraterm glow plugs. Batteries need to be checked though, b/c now there's not enough juice in them to crank it up.

Back