• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 Sub 4L80e in limp mode only 2nd and reverse

Suburbank2500

Reaction score
A little headace

The tranny is in limp mode (4L80e)
This occurred after cycling the ignition on\off several time to enable the Car alarm to receive a new remote, you are suppose to cycle the ignition on\off fast 5 times to enable the function, i did this 20-30 times and after this it would not shift anymore.
I have changed the ign.switch, didnt help.
The E pin at Transmission connector has 12v.
Solenoid A and B measures 24ohm at the connector.
Front speed sensor measured 1,4 kohm, i replaced it with a new one, no help.
when controlling the A and B solenoid from GMTD Scantech this happens.
I sits in 2nd gear default.
when switching from 2nd to 3rd no click, from 3rd to 4 it clicks, from 4 to 3rd it clicks. From 3rd to 2nd it clicks. 2nd to 1st no click, 1st to 2nd it clicks ?
Could the solenoid measure ok and be defect, mecanical fault.
I was wondering if the TCM could be hurt in anyway from the cycling of ignition.
When trying to erase the code it says it could not erase it because of an error....

Børge

Have been checking all electric connections at the TCM, OK
Removed the car alarm, and cleaned up the electric under the dash, it was a "mess", the previous owner was for sure not an guru on electric stuff, it had been used a bunch of the 3M scotchlock wire splicers, and thats a piece of garbage..
Then i dropped the tranny oil pan, the oil was clen, no smell.
I replaced the B solenoid, and checked for code, no code anymore. installed the pan and filled oil, started the truck, shifted gears and added correct amount of oil, no codes
Had to get me some food, so in 1 hour or so i will be driving it, fingers crossed....

A little update, was to tired yesterday.

Everything works just ok now, shifts fine, no codes
It sure is a coincidence that the front speed sensor and the B solenoid dies for no explaniable reason.
Hope is stays in top shape now. I had one hell of a job cleaning up in the electric mess from the previous owner.

Børge

Back