• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 k2500 ground locations

rlb

Reaction score
My truck is having some electrical gremlins. The symptoms lead me to believe bad grounds are causing my issues.

Speedometer goes nuts and randomly pegs. When I use turn signals the speedometer will jump around with the turn signals. When I give it throttle sometimes, the speedometer will act like its connected to the accelerator pedal and move with my throttle inputs. Cruise control works fine. Except last week, when i set the cruise the motor would randomly start missing and running poorly.

Where are the ground points I need to be checking? 1994 5.7L

Main ground is the trans dipstick on passenger side head. Also (what is left of) the cab/frame/engine ground strap isn't insulated and corrodes with road salt. Check ground on top of IP.

I would add a frame to engine ground and a cab to engine ground cable. I also add a ground wire from the blower motor to the cab.

I recall maybe there is a ground under the kick plate left side of the driver side footwell.

Thanks.

I fixed this problem which has been getting worse for several months without turning a wrench. I went around and squirted corrosion-x on all the grounds, including the pass side head and the ground straps that hit the chassis near the pass side exhaust manifold. Problem is gone.

Corrosion-x has worked wonders for me on saltwater boats so I thought I would give it a try.

Back