• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 Cheyanne 1500 Electrical issues

henryfreund

Reaction score
I have a 94 suburban cheyanne 1500 that will charge 14 volts only when there is no load. With heater and lights, no matter the rpm, volt meter shows 10 volts or so. Just replaced the alternator and no change. Have replaced battery multiple times over the last few years. No corrosion on alternator or batter leads. I’ve heard that it can be a ground issue, anyone had something similar? Thanks

Basically, what @Will L. and what @smokymtn65 said. Definitely check the continuity of the charging wire between the alternator and Positive battery terminal (disconnected from battery post).

That's continuity, not voltage, just so you're clear. Anything over 1 Ohm resistance, replace it in its entirety with at least a 10ga wire, if not larger. Ring terminals on each end, one for the alternator charge stud and one for under the battery terminal bolt (either side or top mount). Don't trust the end molded into the Positive cable terminal to be a good connection. All new is best. I believe that forum member and vendor, @racedaymechanic DBA PT Wiring Solutions, carries the better than OEM charging wire along with his excellent and better than OEM battery cables and glow plug harnesses. You can also find his products on eBay, too, I don't know if he's still a vendor on there now.

Last edited:
Back