• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 chevy 6.5

Jdbdiesel

Reaction score
i bought a 94 chevy silverado 6.5 diesel with a 5 speed for 1400 bucks, The truck is SPOTLESS except the rockers are starting to go,
Its got a 4 inch pro comp lift with a 3 inch body,
The downside is it needs a PMD and a fly wheel I had to bump start it to get it home, I borrowed a pmd to get it home, Absoluelty no issues with it, Its one of the strongest 6.5s ive ever driven, it made my old 97 look slow so i think theres something done, Just havent dug into it yet.

I know pmds arent expensive, but i want to relocate it too. The clutch is almost new so im not worrying about that. My question is, How big of a pain in the butt is a flywheel change on one of these? its something i wanna do myself to i dont have to pay labor, I found flywheels, I dont know if its daul mass or not, thats the problem, i dont wanna buy it and it not work, So if anyone knows and can help me out on what it is id appriacate it

Thanks

Jeremey

The real problem could be in the starter mounting flange (block).. If the bracket was left off the motor end of the starter (to block) it could have broken away and caused the flywheel ring gear to get munched..Broken or loose bolts.. Something to check anyway.

Flywheel isn't that hard to swap.

PO is an idiot

If the clutch is new and the flywheel is ruined, they left off the brace and then chewed the starter/flywheel

It being manual if you can bump the engine over you might be able to find a good spot.

Get ready to split the trans/engine apart.
And get that bracket!!

Would be a lot cheaper to get the ring gear replaced on the flywheel you have.

They are usually just shrink fit to the flywheel and can be replaced quite easily by a machine shop.

yeah but if i have to seperate it anyway, i might as well spend the extra couple bucks for a flywheel so i know its good and wont come apart. I was reading that bracket, Ill get some pics of the underneath in the day light and you guys can let me know what to do, It bump starts without any problem. apparently the guy has the starter off it right now cause its sitting in the bed..

Flywheels don't wear out,they can heat crack but that is a simple matter of resurfacing it.

BTW,a solid flywheel usually has a balancer on the output end where the driveshaft is,the dual mass flywheels don't.

well i called the machine shop and for them to put the ring gear on, Its gonna be almost as much as the new flywheel, since its single mass and i new one is around 200 bucks, Im just going to go that route, Im still really unsure of doing the job but i cant afford a mechanic to do it. So I bought the whole pmd and relocate kit for 300 with a number 9 resistor. So if anyone who is local around youngstown is availble this week to help, id appriate it, Im gonna post another thread about that

thanks guys, Jeremey

That's the power of economics:
$45 list price on the ring gear = 1 hour labor-oh yea tax.

Check rock auto prices lower than $100 for a flywheel.

Beg,borrow or steal a clutch alignment tool when you get to doing the job,

your making me more nervous. i didnt know i had to realign the clutch too, I shouldnt need to bleed it right? i tried that on my old z28 camaro and messed it all up lol. Im deff gonna need some help accomplishing this job.. i could pass up on the truck,

No reason to be nervous, aligning the clutch is as simple as sticking the tool through the clutch into the output shaft, then bolting on the pressure plate.
But you need the tool to do it.
I needed one once, I bought a clutch kit, used the tool then returned the clutch kit :) haha

No reason to be nervous, aligning the clutch is as simple as sticking the tool through the clutch into the output shaft, then bolting on the pressure plate.
But you need the tool to do it.
I needed one once, I bought a clutch kit, used the tool then returned the clutch kit :) haha

Output shaft should read pilot bearing.

You will probably also need to change the pilot bearing or bushing. For which you will need a pilot bearing puller.
Mine is a slide hammer with a puller attachment. You can get a cheapo from Harbor Freight

Hey fella, I'm not too far from youngstown, This is about a days job if you already have the parts, and there are not too any surprises. I live about 45 minutes south of Y-town about 3 miles off of rt 11. I work till 3pm M-F and usually have weekends off. I could POSSIBLY help ya out, you can text me @ 330-eight-three-one-2-nine-1-nine. Usually available till round 9pm. Hit me up fella an we can iron out the details...

The pilot bearing is a maintenance item and is much easier to replace while things are already apart.

Another way to remove it is to pack the bearing and the space behind it with grease,then get a dowel the same size as the input shaft where it rides in the pilot bearing and drive it into the bearing hole-it will force the grease to push the bearing out.You may have to remove the dowel and re fill the hole a few times before the bearing comes all the way out.

Seems strange to effectively appear to be knocking it in when you are really knocking it out-it's called hydraulic removal.

Completely clean all grease out of the back of the crank when done.

Davediesel3 is actually gonna help me with the flywheel and what not. Im glad to have another 6.5er willing to help me with it so i can learn and stuff :)

It is sure great to belong to a community that cares about,shares info and assists in keeping these beasts in top shape.

Back