• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 AC stuck blowing out of defrost vents

rlb

Reaction score
Got a bit of an issue with my 1994. Occasionally when I start it up (with ac set to blow out of front dash vents), the air will come out of the defrost vents. Actually not much comes out, but you do hear a bunch of air rushing noise coming from that area. Nothing comes out of the vents on the front of the dash.

Then, at a time period ranging from 5 seconds to several minutes later, i'll hear a "clunk" under the dash and voila, the air is flowing out of the front vents like it should!

Any ideas?

Sounds like your motor that controls the flapper between the defrost and front vents is going bad. You will have to climb under the dash and have someone play with the buttons and go back and forth between the two to find the correct motor. I replaced one on my truck a few years ago from one from the wrecking yard. I did a write up on it. It was a pain to replace and if my hands were any larger I would not have been able to do it.

Default after shut off appears to move doors to different positions. Then they have to move back when you start up again. Cycles through all the modes and see if anything is 'really slow'. Do this WHEN you have time to fix it if something decides to break during that test.

Back