• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 gmc 6.5 truck starts on accessory Helpp

sidel182

Reaction score
truck sat during winter, had to move it to my new house and the starter stuck on so i thought it was the ignition switch, so i replaced that and the starter got the same repeat problem started on accessory, so i replaced the whole steering column and it still starts on accessory any info would be great

truck sat during winter, had to move it to my new house and the starter stuck on so i thought it was the ignition switch, so i replaced that and the starter got the same repeat problem started on accessory, so i replaced the whole steering column and it still starts on accessory any info would be great
How about posting what options your truck has and what transmission etc.............

4L80E trans automatic single cab 8ft bed srw all stock has a crime stopper security system that i have never used but i do have the key fob

2 items come to mind:

Pull the starter and bench test. Often when the solenoid goes bad it will stick on.

Double check the positioning/ adjustment of the actual ignition start switch on the column. The keyed assembly moves a rod that connects to an electrical switch on top of the column. that electrical switch can be out of position.

2 items come to mind:

Pull the starter and bench test. Often when the solenoid goes bad it will stick on.

Double check the positioning/ adjustment of the actual ignition start switch on the column. The keyed assembly moves a rod that connects to an electrical switch on top of the column. that electrical switch can be out of position.
thank you but ive already replaced the ignition switch and steering column

Easy enough to test voltage at the purple starter wire. Aka Solonoid. Light on, voltage, means the problem is in the truck. Disconect from starter and test again to be sure it's not the starter.

Security system may have a stuck relay.

Easy enough to test voltage at the purple starter wire. Aka Solonoid. Light on, voltage, means the problem is in the truck. Disconect from starter and test again to be sure it's not the starter.

Security system may have a stuck relay.
thank you i will give that a try

Yes, I realize new column. However many come out of adjustment. I’ve only done 4 or 5 columns, but 2 were out- high percentage to me. Now I check them before stabbing it in.

My money is still on bas solenoid. That’s a frequent occurrence from weak connections on cables or low batteries. The lowered voltage from either causes arcing in the solenoid, then those arced points stick together.

Fingers crossed it’s something easy.

thank you guys for all your help hopefully ill have er goin this weekend and any more tips or anything feel free to let me know

Back