• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 Chevy silverado 3500/4dr/2-wheel/5.7L/GM_4L80E_Electrical connector??????

ChevyDriver

Reaction score
I just bought this truck and it was shifting irregularly, the engine seemed to lope and idle high.
I used a OBD-1 diagnostic and came up with a few issues. I upgraded the battery to what it called for, changed EGR solenoid, Oxygen sensor and fuel filter. Then, it drove great for one day! I was driving and it would start in what seemed second or third gear. My RPM tach is not working, my speedometer was jumping erratically as was the engine then it would die while moving in gear. So, I figured it was an electrical problem so I started looking. I found my GM_4L80E electrical connector was covered in oil and each wire was exposed and touching. I figured that wasn't good! So, After checking all the junkyards I couldn't find this plug. So, I went on and repaired each one myself! Feeling good about my work I turned it on and it started right up! Put it in gear and it seemed fine. So, I took it around the block and upon each acceleration it would jump three times then mellow out. Plus, my oil pressure gauge was dropping to zero and causing the check gauge to keep popping on. I'm so lost and I need someone who has dealt with this before. What should my next step be? Do I need to upgrade my entire harness or what??? HEEEEEELP!!!!!

Not sure if this is the connector you're talking about, but here is one. Found it on another thread on this forum.
http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4l80esolenoidmasterkitwinternalharness.aspx

Also, I've heard rumor about the ignitions switch in the column causing issues like yours. Google it some more.

Im sure someone on this site has had that issue. Hopefully somebody on here will chime in soon.

Good luck!

if losing trans fluid, check and top off. you can get just the upgrade connection without solenoids from the same link. that will stop the leak caused by the old design.

the old style connector(bolt in the middle) was a horrible design. I thought they quit using in '92, but maybe is was mid '93. the newer one gets rid of the leaks.

Back