• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1991 gasser getting 92 n/a 6.2 electrical ?

allproroofing

Reaction score
Got a 1991 gmc k1500 gasser I bought with no motor , looking to swap in a n/a 6.2 from a 1992 c1500 I picked up a week later. My question is , do I have to just swap out the under-hood wiring harnesses , ecu , and dash cluster , or do I need all the wiring from the donor truck including all the in-cab stuff to be right? I want all my gauges and everything to work like stock application. Just means a lot more work to remove the dash off the donor if I need everything.

I would swap everything if you have a donor truck. When you say your 91 k1500 it's a PU right ? Cause a k1500 blazer or Jimmy totally different truck.

I was just thinking the ECM would be looking for a pile of sensors that no longer exist. I hate to say it but I think your gutting it.

The dash harness is super easy to swap out, as the dash in the 88-94 trucks basically folds down for easy access :D

You will have to swap the entire dash wiring harness between the truck, but if the 92 has the pointer gauges, and not the sweep gauges like the 91, you will also have to swap the entire dash to make the gauge cluster fit. They may not look like it, but they are actually different in back. IMO, swapping the whole dash is easier than swapping the wiring harness between the two dashes.

Back