• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1991 Chevrolet Dually Flapping noise under pass. side dash

NoxCobra

Reaction score
Ok, this is really annoying. when I turn the key on the noise will go about 30 seconds and stop. Also after I turn the truck off it will continue for 30 seconds without the key in and stop. It sounds like maybe a flap for the heater vents or something. It is not the blower motor. Any Ideas?

Thank you for your replies!

I heard this noise on alot of these trucks,I think its one of the servos slipping its gears.

My truck does this on start up and shut down when it is cold. I have not yet figured out what it is.

I can't remember now, are the vent controls vacuum operated on those years? I bet it has something to do with the flapper that controls where the air goes.

I believe it is called the blend door actuator, it is a little electric motor that moves a vent door. It is designed to move every time the key cycles, so that is why it fails quicker than the others. I have the same issue on my 91 gas (91 diesel is manual controls, IIRC manual controls dont have this actuator)

It is a pain to do, which explains why i havent done it yet. There was a good writeup on Fullsizechevy.com, but I cant find it now.

good luck!

Unless it is an OBS (burb, dually or CC) it will have the electronic HVAC.

well, it is an 88-98 body style, but it has the OEM option of no air conditioning (cables, only electrical is the fan speed), if that tells you anything.

I need to look, as I am uncertain if it has the blend door actuator or not. Whenever I cycle the key on any of the other non-AC trucks we have, I dont hear anything.

Back