• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1984 burb questions

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
My friend is looking at buying an 84 burb. The odometer reads 17k but since it turns at 100k my guess is it has at least 217k. It sounded good but just sitting there idling the fan or air noise was louder than your typical diesel knocking. Is this normal? I was also checking for blowby and there was some type of regulator next to the oil fill tube w/ a hose between them. I saw exhaust going from the regulator into the oil fill tub but it didn't look like anything was coming out of the oil fill tube. Is this all normal?

Thanks!

I think what your talking about it the blow by from the CDR?

CDR it gets rid of crankcase pressure and is part of emmisions. If you take the oiol fill cap off and it looks like an air compressor puffin away motor is probably tired but a well cared for 6.2 can last close to 400k miles. Missy did a write up of buying a used 6.5 in the 6.5 section. Most of the info there is useful for 6.2's as well except of course for the turbo and electronic IP stuff. Check the coolant for signs of contamination. 6.2's have dual exhaust so look at smoke from both tail pipes. Should be pretty even. If one side smokes any color more than the other could indicate a problem, see how it starts cold etc,. If you can bring it somewhere have the tranny checked out. TYhe Th700 1st gen which IIRC the 84's have were POS. They can be rebuilt to make them "better". If the truck has any starting issues and starting fliud has been used on it, tell em have a nice day and walk away. If the starter sounds excessively loud it could be a broken bolt or missing rear support bracket. Check the starter to make sure it has both bolts and rear support. Alot of guys have a broken bolt or cracked block from missing support or use of ether and then jerry rig the starter and sell it so check that out. It will usually sound really loud if that is the case. Not a whole lot goes wrong with these engines if they are treated right. They are actually quite reliable. The earlier ones the IPs used a plastic governor gear that goes but an IP for a 6.2 is cheap anyway.Expect to carry a spare alt belt. A gates 5725 is a good upgrade.

One more question guys... What would you pay for an 84 burb w/ power doors and locks w/ a/c but it isn't connected, and w/ approximately 217k miles? The guy is asking $1800. What do you guy's say?

is the body clean? good tires? good paint? shift good? Id say its not to bad, my get it for 1500?

I was thinking $1200-$1500 range. KBB.com goes as far back as 1990. I ran a 1990 w/ the same options in fair condition and it said about $1500 but the 1991 said $1400. What's up w/ that?

I think what Aces is refering to (Plastic governor gear) is actually the Flex ring on the governor in the IP.

The flex ring attached to the flyweights in the governor and kept them in check.
These were failure prone after 70K or so and were updated to a newer style governor any time they were rebuilt by a stanadyne shop.

A failed flex ring would cause a very erratic governor with the engine reving real high then slamming to near idle or quiting all together.

I have experience a failed governor flex ring on an 82 Blazer.

would almost feel like it was a runaway out on the road and would then almost stall.

Missy

Back