• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1982 6.2 injector options

Hard starting and low power on an '82. I bet all the rubber fuel line connections are still original aren't they? they are allowing air to get sucked in...makes it a bear to start, idles rough but smothes out at higher RPMS, not much power.

Mine got progressively worse over the years (like the last 15 I've owned it)...and in researching rough idle issues, I found out mine were causing it. Replaced most of them (still have a few more to go), and already it starts easier than it has in years.has far more power than I ever remember it having....and its actually fun to drive again rather than a chore.

EDIT - Ooops overlooked the post where that was checked for. Sorry.

Post number 40

I had the compression checked and started a new thread from there i think... was told it was bad... ran a series of tests myself snd things didnt add up... bought everything and did a compression test myself and was fine... injectors are next... added a inline fuel pump and no change... bypassed the mechanical... all my rubber return lines are new

10-4 sounds good... will do this week... any idea what the fuel dump looking valve on the back is for? Is that standard or a c30 dual tank thing only? Maybe a 82 thing lol... I gotta get in there and work on that passenger side soon too... tanks inop... sending unit acts crazy when flipped too...

that fuel dumping valve is actually the valve for the two tanks. it should have 6 lines in total on it. 3 sets of lines(1 supply and 1 return). one from each tank and one set from the engine side. and yes they can leak. it also controls the signal for the fuel gauge.

I may have missed it, what are you using to power the pump? toggle, relay setup, or tapped off something else? just wondering if you let the pump run first it would eliminate the possible drain back issue.

First you said pervious owner put glow plugs on toggle, when I've seen this people tend to forget toggle on which burns out glow plugs, I check every one out with wire and battery and see each one glow hot some only work after 8 seconds or so some ohm out but are weak, remove toggle and put horn button with a silonoid to power glow plugs that way only way they are in use is to hold button down,second cut hard line off frame before primary filter like others said pumps are for pumping not sucking even though it was factory set that way, to pull fuel through first filter may be enough to slow start.

Back