• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 International IDI?

1994ch

Reaction score
I helped a friend pull what looks like the early Ford IDI diesel engine out of a 1978 motor home. But from what I saw International started making those in 1983? Anyone know any more of the history of these engines and if they have a good reputation or not? Any better than the 6.5 / 6.2?

A friend over in Alaska has an older Ford 3/4 ton I believe, has a NA diesel in it. There is also an 8 foot Heavy popup camper loaded on the box. It didnt seem like it was a real powerhouse but it went up over the Denali pass okay, not real fast but steady.

Ever hear guys are visual creatures? PICTURES MAN, pictures.

Yes the international was the ford answer to the gm 6.2.
There were some things to make it better but over all not a bad engine. Less problems than 6.2/6.5 actually. Produced lower power and burns more fuel doing it. But ford did same stupid stuff gm did with natural aspiration and too small turbo.
they get built up to handle more power than a gm 6.5 block can handle. They beat 6.5 in safe top power levels until the p400 came out.

They had the 6.9 and the 7.3 to compete with our 6.2 and 6.5. So figure if the 6.9 was equal power to our 6.2 and when gm went 6.5 ford had to go 7.3- that tells you how efficient our platform really is. And shut up you 5.9 Cummins guys, ai don’t want to hear ‘your truth’. Haha

All the Moose pumps for instance were really being built for them if that tells you how they can be made to hold up.
There is a guy that owns a diesel shop near my work that has a 7.3 that most modern duramaxes and cummins.

Wait, was the the 6.9? Pictures man!
Might be a different engine now that I am thinking about it.

(Came back to edit)
yeah... ford diesel guys say “83 is not for me” because the 1983 6.9 was p.o.s. And blocks cracked As the first year -then 84 was good to go.
couldnt be an original. Only gm and cummins had it going then. That means it is a real International, not made to fit by pickup engineers.

Last edited:
Wait, was the the 6.9? Pictures man!
Might be a different engine now that I am thinking about it.

(Came back to edit)
yeah... ford diesel guys say “83 is not for me” because the 1983 6.9 was p.o.s. And blocks cracked As the first year -then 84 was good to go.
couldnt be an original. Only gm and cummins had it going then. That means it is a real International, not made to fit by pickup engineers.
I knew the early engines was IH, so, what year did Ford switch to get away from the IH enjun ?

Ever hear guys are visual creatures? PICTURES MAN, pictures.

Yes the international was the ford answer to the gm 6.2.
There were some things to make it better but over all not a bad engine. Less problems than 6.2/6.5 actually. Produced lower power and burns more fuel doing it. But ford did same stupid stuff gm did with natural aspiration and too small turbo.
they get built up to handle more power than a gm 6.5 block can handle. They beat 6.5 in safe top power levels until the p400 came out.

They had the 6.9 and the 7.3 to compete with our 6.2 and 6.5. So figure if the 6.9 was equal power to our 6.2 and when gm went 6.5 ford had to go 7.3- that tells you how efficient our platform really is. And shut up you 5.9 Cummins guys, ai don’t want to hear ‘your truth’. Haha

All the Moose pumps for instance were really being built for them if that tells you how they can be made to hold up.
There is a guy that owns a diesel shop near my work that has a 7.3 that most modern duramaxes and cummins.
Here is an image of my GMC w/90hp Cummins slow as molasses and ugly as sin but when I smack the drivers door and yell giddy up that diesel can beat your mule from a dead stop...DSCI0007.JPG

Ford used International aka Navistar from the 70’s until like 05 i think.

He might have a DT 466 (or its smaller one not as popular but still good) which was a really good low power long life engine. A true wet sleeve engine.

Pretty much any ford/ih engine from 1970-2000ish was highly suspect for coolant issues so staying on top of nitrates (keeping them high in count) use of anodes in systems, Only distilled water, and frequent coolant flushes is key to keeping them alive.

Back