• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1973 buick electra 225 starter wiring problem

Chevy3500

Reaction score
Im fixing this car for someone, they paid another mechanic to install a starter and a few months later the housing had cracked on the starter, so this time im going to install it and use some shims, my problem is, their is 2 little and 2 big wires where on the starter do these go any help and again the car is a 1973 buick electra 225 with the 455 big block

The big 4-ish gauge wire is easy, the one with the 3/8 ring terminal, (battery + lead) goes on the biggest solenoid lug. Then another of the '12 gauge-ish' wires (sometimes a pair in one ring terminal) should have another 3/8 ring terminal, this goes on the same 3/8 lug. (accessory power)

Then GM usually uses a 12 or 10 gauge purple wire the kicks in the solenoid. This wire IIRC has a #8 ring terminal and connects to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid.

The other wire *should* have a #8 ring terminal as well and hook to the terminal opposite the purple wire.

This is from memory, so proceed with caution.

ive got another problem, the guy i am fixing this car for, took apart the carb and he does not know where the linkages go, could someone help me out with a digram to show where the linkages go on the carb thanks

I'd do a search on " GM Quadrajet linkage " and you might find what you need.

There should only be two cables, throttle on top and detent kickdown on the bottom of the left side carb throttle shaft.

If it's a TH400 trans then just one cable- kickdown is a wire and a switch - no cable.

Maybe a wire or two for the choke..

Their is one cable for the throttle and the rest are linkages, like for the choke, and the accelarator pump, this does not have a electric choke, i guess its going to be trial and error to get this back together since their are really no good pics on where those linkages go

Does this help? Any pics of the Booick?

67kickdownswitch.jpg

ive got if figured out, their is one bracket i cant figure out but it still runs and starts well thanks alot for the help

ive got if figured out, their is one bracket i cant figure out but it still runs and starts well thanks alot for the help
Glad you're up and running.

:eek: Good God man! A breaker point ignition! :eek:

Crank it in until it stumbles and back it out 1/2 turn...;)

:hihi:

That pic is nothing that I own, just one I found on da' interwebs. :D

The ol' dump truck (tall deck 427) still has the breaker ignition though... I usually target 30-32 on the dwell using the Dixco 396 *Engine Analizer* (or crank it in 'til it coughs then back off 1/2 a turn... :thumbsup:

*Engine Analizer* :rof:

Back