• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

Some pictures of my worst burn-throughs. I got overzealous on the front passenger rooftop corner, as well as finding a dent near the far left (DS) cab light! The corner was burnt through during the 3M rubbing compound phase and the dent was during sanding. Hard to get good pics in the back bay without glares from poor lighting.
20240415_131137.jpg
20240415_131334.jpg

Roof is half waxed on the passenger side, still need to do the drivers side then put all the rooftop goodies back on.

More for the day. This one shows my burn through on the drivers side from a dent I didnt notice. Got the roof completely waxed.
20240419_115544.jpg

Also removed the mirrors carfully and placed aside for better access to the drip rail and eventually doors. Working on the passenger a-pillar, drip trim, passenger b-pillar, and the rear of the cab.
20240419_131753.jpg
20240419_131814.jpg
20240419_132101.jpg

I'm afraid, I don't want to lose any of them. Figured I'd cross that bridge when I get there.
Lay a piece of printing paper over them.
Scribble across the decals with a pencil, or pencil lead laid sort of flat to get an impression.
Take the truck to a good sign shop and ask what the best options are for salvaging the decals.
1969, those may have been hand painted on to the truck.

My 2c (pre bi-dum economics worth)

Take some of that see through paper, tape it on and trace it out.
Take a couple measurements and set aside.
Polish right over it. If it’s under the clear it should improve just like the red.
If it isn’t it will mostly come off, not all. The tracing paper is insurance to repaint it.
It obviously used to be much brighter with sharper edges.

The difference of the red is night and day.
The gold stripe work should POP OUT at you, not fade away.

Back