• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

16 X 6.5 stock rims-How big can tires be & be safe?

mgiroux236

Reaction score
Hey,

I just got a set of Nitto Dura Grapplers 265/75-R16 on my stock rims. Now I am being told the rim is too narrow for this tire. Tire spec says it needs 7.0-8.0 wide rim... I have read several threads about times and rims, and it seems everyone agrees it is OK.... However, what could be the failure? I haul a 30' Cougar fifth wheel numerous times in the summer, otherwise not really any load. But I don't want to have a tire failure ever while hauling that thing....

Please shed some light on this subject for me.... I have checked with a couple tire guys, and 1/2 say it is ok, othrr half say no way!!

Has anyone had experience with failure?

Thanks

2007 GMC Seirra 2500HD, Duramax Diesel, 4 X 4

I think you should be fine...

I've had 285' Dueller A/T Revo's on my PYO's for along time(60k+) and got good wear...

I went down to 265's(E rated) Dueller A/T Revo's for a little better fuel economy and all is well with those also...

Did you do any hauling? What would you do with the air pressures? I am currently 60psi front, 70psi rear.

Thanks

I ran 285's on my 04 LLY for 60k miles. I never had any problems with those and I did pull around 8000 lbs. I kept the pressure at around 60psi for front and rear. This, from what I hear, is the biggest tire you can go on the stock 6.5" rim. In fact, many tire shops wont mount 285's on a rim that narrow due to safety concerns. I never had a problem and I've never heard of anyone else having a problem with running those.

Back