• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

16'' wheels on a 2004 3500 dodge

dmaxx3500

Deputy
Reaction score
from 2003 on up to 2010 dodge uses 17'' dually wheels ,,ive got a friend who wants to use 16'' dually wheels on his 2004,,from 1995-2002 they used 16'' wheels

question:

1. will they fit?
2.has anybody done this?

no reason they shouldnt fit. bolt pattern is the same, just need to check diameter of center hub. he will lose some weight carry capabilities from the smaller tire thou, and not much; 200lbs less maybe, tops. I can see why he would want to do this as there are not many tire options for 17 inch rims in E class ratings

I think the reason why they run 17's on the 03 up truck is due to the size of the brakes. If i remember right (on the SRW truck) 16's wont fit over the calipers.

I think the reason why they run 17's on the 03 up truck is due to the size of the brakes. If i remember right (on the SRW truck) 16's wont fit over the calipers.

Brandon is 100% right. When they redesigned the trucks for '03, they made the brakes bigger and therefore made the smallest wheel you could fit on it a 17" rim. I also know this from experience, as when I was shopping wheels and tires last summer, I found out that you can not put a 16" on these trucks as my first thought was to put on 16" rims and have a taller sidewall on my tires. No such luck. I actually sold my stock steel wheels to a guy with a 2nd gen Ram who wanted to go up from the stock 16" rims to the 17" rims.

ahh...interesting info guys. just sucks that the bean counters only let them go up to 17" GM, Ford and Dodge. IMO the 17" size sucks. when trying to locate a decent E range tire for my buddies King Ranch we could only find 3 tires and one was the stock tire that he hated. seems as thou the whole tire industry has the 17" size as a bastard child that no body wants to deal with.....

Just go 19.5 and never have to buy another set of tires for your truck again.

if your gonna donate the $6500 I'm in for a set:D

You can do it cheaper than that, more than half. If you shop around you can do all steal rims and tires for a little over $2 grand. These are the ones that are direct bolt on. Then all you got to do is find stainless wheel simulators.

Why on earth would I donate you $6,500?

I have been looking in to doing this for over 6 years. That money thing never seems to be there when I need it.

know how you feel man....as soon as i save half of what i need for a new part; i end up needing to spend double to fix somethin else..

Brandon is 100% right. When they redesigned the trucks for '03, they made the brakes bigger and therefore made the smallest wheel you could fit on it a 17" rim. I also know this from experience, as when I was shopping wheels and tires last summer, I found out that you can not put a 16" on these trucks as my first thought was to put on 16" rims and have a taller sidewall on my tires. No such luck. I actually sold my stock steel wheels to a guy with a 2nd gen Ram who wanted to go up from the stock 16" rims to the 17" rims.

back to the ''q'' , has anybody put 16'' wheels on a newer dodge?

They already answered the question, read above! :thumbsup:

the guys on the dodge forum said to grind off the 1/4-1/2'' nub on the caliper,im just asking here as i trust you guys more,

I'd have to handle one to see what that "nub" is... overcast from molding or structural rigidity needed..

the guys on the dodge forum said to grind off the 1/4-1/2'' nub on the caliper,im just asking here as i trust you guys more,

I will take a picture under the truck of the back of the wheel and the caliper, and let you see it first hand. I don't know how I feel about grinding anything down on the caliper myself. JMHO

Back