• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

120cc DB2, looks like you can buy one

great white

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted, but I ran across it a nd maybe the db2 guys would like to check it out:

http://oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=388018&postcount=67

http://oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=446774&postcount=78

You may have to register to see the threads.

It's the "super moose pump" from the same guy that sources the Ford DB2's.

Here are the flow numbers for the Moose family of pumps. These numbers are approximate.

Baby Moose (stock build) 60 CC Per 1000 strokes
Moose Pump (popular hot pump calibration) 90 CC Per 1000 strokes
Super Moose (yes it exists... no one has bought one yet) 120 CC Per 1000 strokes.

Prices remain stable for the Moose Pump family, even though Stanadyne has raised their prices again this year. The range is from around $550 to $675 Typical for a Baby Moose or Moose Pump. The Super Moose, due to extreme machining operations is estimated to be $1600 to $2000. As always, PM me for specific details.

I'm just posting this as info in case someone wants to check it out as I have no interest in DB2 performance.

Cheers

Last edited:
I may be way off here but I thought I remember reading somewhere that the ford db2s turned opposite direction from ours. not sure if that would matter and they could probably mod ours

I'm pretty sure you're right. Either way, its good to see someone tweaking the old db2 cause i'll never run an electronic IP on my stuff.

I think the DS4 is machined to be able to output 120cc per 1000 strokes. It just doesnt have the programming for it. With existing software might be able to get close though.

I am glad they listed the volume flow correctly. Each injection event is in cubic millimeters. inject fuel 1000 times and you got cubic centimeters. The manuals are a little misleading because they will show something like mm3/1000 cycles or strokes. So for example at 60mm3, I believe their intent is to say that if you have 1000 injections it would average out to be 60mm3 each, even though several might be 59 and others 61, ect...

If you are cruising at 20mm3 fuel rate, if that were accurate you could take your RPM and multiply by 4 injections per RPM and multiply by 20mm3 and it would tell you how much fuel you will use in a minute. Then take your speed and distance you would travel in a minute and you can calculate your MPG. However, I would not say the commanded fuel rate is very accurate, especially with differnt PMD resistors and IPs and the optical sensors not being properly calibrated during rebuilds. Then aftermarket programming can completely screw up the commanded fuel rate not be accurate, most dont but they could.

Last edited:
I may be way off here but I thought I remember reading somewhere that the ford db2s turned opposite direction from ours. not sure if that would matter and they could probably mod ours

Maybe so, dunno.

But the first link says he can get them for 6.2 and 6.5's as well as fords. I would assume the stanadyne shop he has building them would know the difference.

Ford Head and rotor are the same,they do turn the opposite way though. You could put all the parts from a Ford pump into a Chevy housing,just remember to flip the cam ring the other way. I heard of the Moose pumps before,but never could find out what the plunger size was,and if the super Moose has 4 or 2 plungers. Way over priced for me anyhow.

he sells injectors too it looks like. some ones with lower pop pressure and different spray pattern then stock. might be something worth trying because isnt our injectors the same type?

we are in fact members over there as well.... it is a real power upgrade for those 6.9/7.3 idi to utilize our governor spring in the db2 ford pumps as the navi motors are limited just to 2650 rpm..... so lots of guys are swapping out the pieces... who would have thought that an old dirty db2 pump from a 6.2l could be considered as a performance upgrade...lol

we have followed Agnem's (the creator of moose-pumps) work in those pumps and injectors somewhat over the last year, some pretty interesting stuff.....

The military rebuild talks about .350" plungers, "6.2turbo", used .500" plungers......I think it is just a plunger upgrade, might be DB4, but do not think so.

Peninsular diesel will custom build you a DB2 anyway you want it. as he told me n the phone when I inquired about a DB4 was that he could build a DB2 that could put out more fuel than a 6.xx could handle.

I suspect my Tahoe will be another test mule for injector pumps. Its all fun and games to me. I'll probably start with a 4 plunger .310 or .270 I have two of the smaller ones. There's a head and rotor rebuilder on Ebay, I called them and they can make plunger's and rechrome also,I will probably get them to make my next ones. The machine shop made my .500 plungers out of reamer blank,but none coated,not sure if this is why they seized or not. Though it did prove to me that these motors make serious power with a lot of fuel.

I suspect my Tahoe will be another test mule for injector pumps. Its all fun and games to me. I'll probably start with a 4 plunger .310 or .270 I have two of the smaller ones. There's a head and rotor rebuilder on Ebay, I called them and they can make plunger's and rechrome also,I will probably get them to make my next ones. The machine shop made my .500 plungers out of reamer blank,but none coated,not sure if this is why they seized or not. Though it did prove to me that these motors make serious power with a lot of fuel.

Walking the walk..... which company on e-bay did you find to do the pumps?

Diesel Doctor,can't find the listing now. A local machine shop did the last one.

Buddy, all we have on here is the Stanadyne list, plunger diameters only. No mention of plunger travel to calculate the pumping volume with. Still hunting on our end.

That's interesting about the DB2 6.2 governor spring being used in the 6.9/7.3 pumps to turn higher rpm. My question is what rated springs were used in the 6.2/6.5 pumps (of course mechanical) that is? And can you get, say a 4k or 4200 rpm governor spring to install in a DB2 mechanical pump? Being that we are talking about pumps set up for a V8 diesel I'm sure that with some engine work you could get a 6.2/6.5 to turn 4,000 or maybe even 4,500 rpm. Hell, the 94-98.5 Cummins w/ the P7100 can turn 4 or 5k rpm, so why can't the 6.2/6.5?

Well, the 6.2 definitely can turn some rpm. The stroke on these engines is relatively short for a diesel. Governor springs aren't the only thing limiting you. A rotary style IP is always limited in fuel volume at higher rpm. A p-pumped cummins can turn 5k, but the P-pumps have a plunger for every cylinder where the db2 has 2 plungers for all 8 cylinders.

I made one gov spring solid,there was a huge increase in fuel delivery. Do not remove half the governor weights, as it will not idle,removing two weights might work. You can adjust the high speed spring on the later ones,this tightens the tiny spring inside the gov shaft. If you turn the big nut inside,you must also adjust the metering valve linkage.

Back