• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

120 volt block heater in 220 volt country

Danish Farmer

Reaction score
Gyes, just realized that my truck has an block heater, but the cord has the american plug telling me that it is 120 volt.
Guess i better not plug it to my danish 220 voltage systems on the farm with out an power converter, or does the system has one built in maybe ?

Getting cold ;) Thanks

Hello to Denmark,

Have you used one is sitting in a freeze Plug?
If so, then you need a Converter...
I've installed one and he tolerates only 110 volt...
The Energiefactorys in Europe have very often also 230-240 Volt in their Lines... buy a Converter,so nothing in smoke is going to...:sifone:

Greats
Gunar

Yep that'd be a problem then.

Maybe you could find a 220v block heater over there in Denmark. IIRC they're 1 - 5/8 inch in diameter.

Since I have two in mine, you'd think Ida thought of that....

Is AC the same as DC in the series/paralell deal? I think there's a few other things to consider. But for a pair heating elements, it'd probably be just fine.

Yes AC/DC parallel has the same characteristics. If you use two block heaters in series the voltage would work out but the amp draw would be the amp draws of the block heaters added together. In other words the amperage required could overload your source/breaker/power cord. The best solution is to replace the block heater with one that is rated for the proper voltage.

Brian

Yes AC/DC parallel has the same characteristics. If you use two block heaters in series the voltage would work out but the amp draw would be the amp draws of the block heaters added together. In other words the amperage required could overload your source/breaker/power cord. The best solution is to replace the block heater with one that is rated for the proper voltage.

Brian
2 heaters in series (on 220v) will draw the same amps as one by itself (on 110v).

50 I think. Dunno if it would matter on a heating element. Oher electronics, probably..

NTSC vs PAL or something likea that.

Europe is 50Hz and is of no matter for a heating element. As already said in a series circuit the current remains the same, only for a parallel circuit does it add up.
It would work fine just like two 120 volt bulbs in series will work fine on a 240V circuit.

Cheers
Nobby

NTSC and PAL is video formats. Had to go 'refresh' the brain some and look it up.

The series trick would work pretty good I bet. Since European countries have different AC plugs than us, the Danish Farmer would have to do some re-wiring anyway.

All righty gyes. Thank you.
Been away for the forum some days do to traveling, but should pretty soon get more quality time with that old lady.
I will not be much into rewiring something myselv thats going to be connected to a 230 volt plug, so I did some search on converters like you suggested.
Seems like if they are to handle 600 watts their price gets pretty tough. But, that will be the easy and safe way I think. Me goofing up a wire may be more expensive ;) he he

Thank you for your kind help and inspiration :hello:

Back