• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

12/3/10 - What type of Cell Phone do you prefer?

What type of cell phone do you have?

• Total voters
iv got a Gzone. this one is the rock iv had all the ones that verizon has had over the years. i think its made by casio. its the military grade one, well it is really tough iv droped them more times than i can count and they last for a lot longer than them smart phones would. my gf has a droid and it is kind of fun to mess around with when there aint nothing else to do but i can barely work the damn touch screen with my fat fingures.

I agree. Texting is stupid. I mean if you can't get signal like Pepp said or if someone is in a place where they can't talk..OK but to just text text text is retarded to me. Mindless zombies. I must be getting old. I'd still be using my old phone with the thumbwheel if it worked. I buy whatever has the least options as cheap as I can get off ebay used so I don't have to renew my contract. I think about growing up as a kid and we didn't have cell phones, only Doctors did and they looked like suitcases. I suppose you need them now though since payphones are pretty much gone. This world IMHO has become way to reliant on all this tech crap. Skynet is close...

If you are hard on phones and have trouble hearing the ring or voice level is in adequate try the AT&T Samsung Rugby. It is built to military specs and is by far the most rugged phone I have found. I was always laying down on mine or dropping it, getting it wet. The Samsung is moisture proof and has a rubberized coating that makes it easier to hold on took.

I just upgraded to the newer model Rugby so I am on the 2nd one and I will never go back to any other type phone.

I also have the Boulder, it doesnt have as good of service as some other phones that i have had but it will go up to 5 days on one charge if in service and it takes a beating very well. Been through the washer, left out in the cold all day, been swimming with it and i have had no problems with it. TEXTING IS GAY!!!!

LG Rumor Touch... It was the least objectionable of the freebies I could choose from when I signed with Sprint.

Lousy volume on it though. 1/2 the time I miss calls because the ring is so low.

If you text like a 14 year old, well yeah, that's stupid.

My text is "be home soon", "pick up some milk" or a text from wing operations on SAR callout with the necessary information about the mission so I can start planning even before I get to the hangar. Pagers are essentially dead, so we use the text network instead of phone because it's more reliable. Text is our new pagers.

So, is texting "gay"?

No, not if you actually use it for something important.

Where the world went wrong was letting "kids" get their hands on this stuff....

Last edited:
how come a text can go through sometimes when a call cannot?

If you really want an answer, I believe it is because the text rides between data blocks on the query signal to the tower. It does not require the bandwidth of a call.

I have an old HTC wizard/ cingular 8125 that I unlocked and zapped the ROM with a new cooked version from the web. Works worlds better than the original windows crap. Phone is durable and it syncs between computers, so it keeps my files current in various locations.

I text a fair bit, as it is more functional than voicemail. You can see the message immediately, even when in a meeting. I work a ton with college age folks. and I manage my kitchen staff by text and facebook for the most part (in terms of commmunicating schedule changes etc)

Samsung Rugby - was great at first - nice and loud...but the sound has been going out, and the reception sucks. I think I'll get either the newest Droid with Verizon next go around, or a rugged phone through Verizon.

I'm on the verge of buying a BB Torch. I"m having a bit of trouble with the price of the plan though. Looks to be around $75 a month for 3 years. What you guys in the US paying per month?

I'm on the verge of buying a BB Torch. I"m having a bit of trouble with the price of the plan though. Looks to be around $75 a month for 3 years. What you guys in the US paying per month?

I have 550 anytime minutes and it is $59.00 a month. Unlimited nights and weekends and if I call anyone on my free call list it is not charged to my minutes. Texting is charged separate, $.20 per message I think it is.

I have the Motorola Quantico from U.S. Cellular. It's another phone that is built to military spec. Been a good phone so far. The only thing that I wish is that it had a stronger vibrate on it. I always have my phone on vib so it's not a distraction to other people when I get a call or text.

Motorola-Quantico-cell-phone-02.jpg

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=12117&NewsAreaID=22

I like my Boulder by LG. It is rugged, waterproof, has a compass built in, and doesn't make accidental phone calls just by picking it up or by bumping into something.

I do use texting sometimes because I can send a message to my wife or daughter that they can read when it is convenient, without having to dial voicemail. When a text message comes in the phone gives one chime as opposed to the continuous ringing of a phone call. Also, I can get a text message through to them sometimes when I cannot get a call to go through.

I think you have a Casio phone if it is a Boulder. Not an LG. I also have the newer Casio Ravine, and it is way better than the older Boulder was. They have come a long way.

I think you have a Casio phone if it is a Boulder. Not an LG. I also have the newer Casio Ravine, and it is way better than the older Boulder was. They have come a long way.

I should know better than to trust my memory; must have been a previous phone that was by LG. Unfortunately the only identification on the outside of it is Verizon. I think I remember once looking for the manufacturer in the manual as well as the battery compartment and not finding it; but then again, that is from memory.

Thanks for correcting my post.

John

Back