• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

(12/09/08) The Inagural Weekly Poll - Do you support the GM Bailout?

Do you support the GM Bailout?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • 3. Hell no

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • 4. Yes, but only if the CEO goes...

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 5. Yes, but only after they declare Chapter 11 and renegotiate their union contracts

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • 6. Yes, but only after Hell freezes over

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 7. Only if I get a cut of the action...

• 8. Are you nuts Randy? Where did you come up with this?

• Total voters
I chose #5 because they have to restructure. If we just loan it to them whats to stop them from burning threw it then filing chapter 11 and then we lost it to. The UAW worries me, what portion of that money will they get right off the top? The democrats in congress have always had Union backing and vise versa. It just looks like democrats are trying to pay them back, because if the Big 3 go chapter 11 the unions won't get squat. The airlines went chapter 11 and restructured without taxpayers loans and are still in business. JMO

I chose #5 because they have to restructure. If we just loan it to them whats to stop them from burning threw it then filing chapter 11 and then we lost it to. The UAW worries me, what portion of that money will they get right off the top? The democrats in congress have always had Union backing and vise versa. It just looks like democrats are trying to pay them back, because if the Big 3 go chapter 11 the unions won't get squat. The airlines went chapter 11 and restructured without taxpayers loans and are still in business. JMO
I agree with ya, but what foreign airline was competing with our domestic airlines? Domestic airlines have no competition compared to the auto workers. I wish we could get a handle on our environmentalist groups (head shots would be nice) and let our manufacturing (and oil drilling) get back to being the "machine" that made this great country thrive. I would like to see an "American Made" automobile built here with parts from here....I'd buy it! Then TAX the chit outta every thing imported.

hell no. file BK, renegotiate the union hoopla....or replace the need for union workers with robots and machines

I agree with ya, but what foreign airline was competing with our domestic airlines? Domestic airlines have no competition compared to the auto workers. I wish we could get a handle on our environmentalist groups (head shots would be nice) and let our manufacturing (and oil drilling) get back to being the "machine" that made this great country thrive. I would like to see an "American Made" automobile built here with parts from here....I'd buy it! Then TAX the chit outta every thing imported.

Want do you mean U.S. airlines don't compete with foreign airlines, they compete all over the world. All U.S. manufactures and businesses compete with somebody local and abroad. But it not a problem of foreign competition, its a problem of greedy unions and poor corporate structuring. If it wasn't for competition then the free enterprise system would not work. I do agree with you on getting a handle on our environmentalist groups (head shots would be nice) and let our manufacturing (and oil drilling) get back to being the "machine" that made this great country thrive.

Take GM for example, they sold the most automobiles and their still losing money. How is that Toyota's fault? UAW workers make on the average $73 an hour and Toyota averages $44 an hour which sounds like a fair wage. If $44 an hour is not a fair wage for a line worker up north compared to your cost of living than they should think of moving their manufactures farther south like Toyota. But we should not give them a pass because they have foreign competition.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against unions except when they want the goverment to give them taxpayers money because they can't compete, I'm just for the Free Enterprise System.

A republic is the best form of government and the free enterprise system works better than any other, but it does better without government as its partner. The government’s only obligation is to keep us legal, but beyond that, keep hands off. That includes loans and bailouts. JMO

$44 is more than fair for somebody standing on an assembly line installing the same part over and over. It seems they could hire someone off the street and have them trained for their job in a week. Most mechanics around here don't even make $20/hr. I'd say between $15 and $25 per hour is fair for that type of work. With pay commensurating with experience and complexity of job.

$44 is more than fair for somebody standing on an assembly line installing the same part over and over. It seems they could hire someone off the street and have them trained for their job in a week. Most mechanics around here don't even make $20/hr. I'd say between $15 and $25 per hour is fair for that type of work. With pay commensurating with experience and complexity of job.

It's gonna be interesting to see who flinches first - the unions, or Congress. If the unions flinch first in this potentially deadly game of chicken, it'll be interesting to see just how low they will go. If Congress flinches first, this could be really, really bad. :nonod:

Their going to get their money from congress, because the democrats can't afford to loose the unions support. If they don't get it before jan. 20, that will be Nobama first official act. Even when congress and Nobama knows it will never be payed back, they will file chapter 11 after they get all they can of taxpayers money. Guaranteed

Want do you mean U.S. airlines don't compete with foreign airlines, they compete all over the world. All U.S. manufactures and businesses compete with somebody local and abroad. But it not a problem of foreign competition, its a problem of greedy unions and poor corporate structuring. If it wasn't for competition then the free enterprise system would not work. I do agree with you on getting a handle on our environmentalist groups (head shots would be nice) and let our manufacturing (and oil drilling) get back to being the "machine" that made this great country thrive.

Take GM for example, they sold the most automobiles and their still losing money. How is that Toyota's fault? UAW workers make on the average $73 an hour and Toyota averages $44 an hour which sounds like a fair wage. If $44 an hour is not a fair wage for a line worker up north compared to your cost of living than they should think of moving their manufactures farther south like Toyota. But we should not give them a pass because they have foreign competition.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against unions except when they want the goverment to give them taxpayers money because they can't compete, I'm just for the Free Enterprise System.

A republic is the best form of government and the free enterprise system works better than any other, but it does better without government as its partner. The government’s only obligation is to keep us legal, but beyond that, keep hands off. That includes loans and bailouts. JMO
I guess what I mean is, back when they were in trouble I don't recall flying on a Jap or Chinese owned airline from Fla to Texas. I understand the international flights, but comparing the airlines to auto mfgring is apples to oranges. I don't think the domestics stand a chance with the EPA rulings in effect at the present and what Cali has for the future:eek:

Back