• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

10.5 mpg at 20,000 pounds

OregonHorseTug

Reaction score
:thumbsup:
Burning Man 2010; 985 miles round trip on 94 gallons of fuel. From Portland, OR to Gerlach, NV, three mountain passes with 6% plus grades up to 6300'. 20,100# GCW going and 18,700# coming back (less 115 gallons of water).

The Heath WMI was an improvement over last year. I installed it before we left so it still needs to be dialed in. Only running one 007 nozzle. I could simply pin it to the floor, EGT stayed in check, and actually had to slow down for the corners going up hill. Pulled like gangbusters up the hill on the way home and I wasn't the slowest rig on the road!

Not bad for a fourteen year old 190 HP rig at 4k over gross. :cool:

What was your average and top speeds? Pulling Payson, AZ ~7% grades on mine gets 7.5 -7.9 MPG with 40 MPH hills. Runs with 55-62 MPH Hills and staying under 70 gets me ~10 MPG. Turning up the fuel and boost did not change the MPG by more than 0.5 MPG but did add almost 10 MPH to the low speed. The TCC lockup mod helped the best with pulling speed.

Was getting down to high 20s/ low 30s on the steepest part. On the 20 mph corners I would kick down to first gear. On the flat freeway I was running 65-70, almost home up to 75ish. Most of the time on the two lane around 50-60. It's fair to say that pulling the steepest parts I was not getting 10.5 mpg. Probably closer to 6 or 7. I get about 18 on the freeway at 70 with no load.

I don't find the TCC helps me at all with pulling except for engine braking on long straight hills where an exhaust brake might be worth while.. If I have to go slower than 40 with the TCC locked and it tries to kick into 2nd it throws the tranny into limp mode and we don't want it shifting like that at 20k :eek: I've got a huge cooler with fan under the bed to keep the tranny cool. I seem to be able to run uphill in 2nd with it pinned all day long with the tranny temp under 200.

I got ambitious and had some injectors set up at 2700 a couple of years ago. It makes more noise and got a touch more mpg but that could simply be attributed to new injectors.. Bill Heath tells me I'm seriously shortening the life of the IP. I haven't gotten 'round to setting them back to normal.

Mike

I wouldnt be too worried about the IP, and happy to see high pops elsewhere, I went with 2350psi. The IP puts out over 10,000psi at its highest fuel rates and doesnt seize at idle RPMs until about 4000psi line pressure. If it can shoot fuel at cranking speed then you have to believe it will run fine at operating RPMs.

Sounds great . I,ve just resurrected my 5th wheel out of the back 40( been using the truck camper ) .Gotten over some health issues & hope to finally do the mods that will improve towing capability to a satisfactory (for me) level. Appreciate any comments on the ATT, Heaths GLE-S as to how each or in combination have helped make your truck pull so good .

Back