• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1 year old fuel -- safe to use?

mitchedo

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting close (not too close) to getting this thing back on the road. Before I parked it last December, I filled the tank with fuel. Will that fuel be safe to use if I ever get the engine back in the truck? I hate to throw it away; it was kinda expensive.

hell the 6.5 will run on SVO....i'd imagine it would run just fine with old fuel...throw some addative in it to get rid of the mositure that may have collected and run it.

I had fuel sit in the tank for almost a year while my engine was out. There was additive already in it (I always us it), but it started up just fine.

Well, I'm getting close (not too close) to getting this thing back on the road. Before I parked it last December, I filled the tank with fuel. Will that fuel be safe to use if I ever get the engine back in the truck? I hate to throw it away; it was kinda expensive.

If you have oil heat, i'd use it in the house, and refill it fresh for my truck. If the truck doesn't run perfectly from the get-go you'll always be wondering about that fuel until its completely used up, and if the truck isn't running well, that could be a long time.

Use it ... I ran 3-4 year furnace oil (diesel) in my '95. Had 600 gallons of it. It was free for the pumpin...just put 2x power service or 1qt of 30 weight motor oil per tank.

My advice is to put algae killer in it if it's been sitting. Although the new low sulfur fuel has more additives in it it can still contain water which grows alge which kills pump. I would change fuel filter in a few days and inspect the old one for sludge/algae. If it's bad you may need to drop and clean the fuel tank. I have had this happen. My 83 (see photo album) had alge so bad form sitting when I got it I had to replace the fuel tank.

Back