• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

(09/24/09) Do you use a GPS in your truck?

(09/24/09) Do you use a GPS in your truck?

• No - I don't need some electronic do-dad to tell me where to go...

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Yes - occasionally

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • Yes - all the time

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • WTH is a GPS??

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I don't have a truck, only opinions...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Although I once thought about buying one before my 7340 mile trip in 2006 I never did buy one and made it just fine on that trip. I wouldn't mind having one though.

Factory in dash nav on the 06, Garmin in the others. Saves me time, I still go "my way" and let her grump though, my Wife tells me its the only woman I ever listen to ):h

GPS, Bah. Use the Force, Luke.

2596745886_cb063d9921_o.png

I've been using a GPS unit for long distance travel since Dec 1999.

I cut my teeth using GPS when I got a Magellan GPS-315 for Christmas. The GPS-315 unit is a very basic, battery operated unit designed mainly for backpackers, boaters and such. You can get an auxiliary vehicle mount and 12 volt power chord, so you can run it indefinitely in a vehicle. This is a very crude system with no built-in road maps at all. It does have a database of Large, Medium and Small cities worldwide, but that is it. No roads or intersections whatsoever.

In order to plan a trip, you have to enter each way-point separately (Maximum of 30 way points per route an a maximum of 20 routes) and then you have to basically connect-the-dots between each way points to create your route.

One thing about this unit, by the time you are comfortable using it, you will thoroughly understand how a GPS works, the meaning of Lat/Lon coordinates, how to enter them into your system to create way-points, etc. One thing that I like about this unit is that you can set up a screen with fairly large text (Nice to have when your close distance vision gets harder after age 40) with Actual Speed, Heading, Bearing, time and Distance to the next way-point (as the crow flies), Current Position Coordinates, Elevation, proximity alarms (nice to program in known speed traps), etc. I still keep this unit in my truck because of this large text display.

The main thing I like about having a GPS unit, is that it helps reduce the stress of driving, especially when you are driving to an unfamiliar destination. I took many solo cross-country trips to unfamiliar destinations using only that crude Magellan GPS 315.

Four years ago I upgraded to a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 with all the bells and whistles in a modern GPS system, including remote control, an upgradeable complete US road and street map, a much larger screen, spoken directions with street name recognition and much more. The four things I don't like about this unit are (1) a fairly fragile power chord connector at the unit itself, (2) it has no internal battery, (3) the speaker is located in the power chord at the cigarette lighter end and (4) even though I have it set up for the "Quickest Route", occasionally it will take you where you want to go in a round-about way. Other than that is has been an excellent system, that will spoil you very quickly.

One thing to keep in mind when using any electronic navigation system is not to trust it blindly. You should alway have a good idea of where you want to go and what route you want to take, because some times you will have to override the directions you get. This will happen with any system.

One great thing about having a GPS is that most truck stops now a days list their GPS coordinates for their location. This makes it a cinch to plan your routes along with your fuel stops, etc.

Don't have one, yet. Dad's talking about getting one soon, though. I use google maps heavily, and my knowledge of roads and the surrounding areas. We also have maps in all the vehicles just in case.

Thanks Ray for your input. Now if I could get OZZIE to wake up and answer my question.

What?? Let me enjoy my nap...):h

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350. It's getting long in the tooth by today's standards, but that ole girl gets me there and I don't have the heart to kick her to the side of the road just yet. The newer models are tempting though.
The only issue I seem to encounter is the map updates. Every now and then she thinks I'm driving through a cornfield, but the new road construction is obvious. I'm not much in the mood to pay 70-80 bucks to get maps a couple years old already. It works plenty good as long as you aren't in newer areas.

Its built into my phone, have no choice but to carry it in the truck everytime I drive. HTC Touch Pro through Sprint. Great GPS unit, only put me out of target address twice in almost two years of use. Ofcourse being that I drive a tow truck and mostly out of home city, I make it work hard! Also, Sprint updates the maps on their navigation about every six months and are pretty good about adding a majority of the newest roads!

Last edited:
I have a Gramin Street Pilot that i use when go out of town. There is some comfort in knowing that you will "never get lost", althought it has been known to take me through some questionable areas of town before.:paranoid:

GPS is only a tool that has software put together by humans so it has flaws. I use a combination of GPS and Maps.

I have two GPS's both Garmin. A 2610 and Zumo 550. Both have outdated software but get the basic job done. Both can be programed for Faster route or Shortest route.

A big deal with a GPS is knowing how to get the most out of it's features. And if it doesn't have current software you could end up being directed to a road that isn't in service anymore.

That is why I have maps and the GPS.

Have a GPS on my iPhone, but only use it as a back up. Mapquest, googlemaps, a road atlas and a CB Radio do still work 99% of the time.

Not too fond of some broad sittin' on my dash telling me i'm driving thru a cornfield.....i usually am:smile5:

Not too fond of some broad sittin' on my dash telling me i'm driving thru a cornfield.....i usually am:smile5:

The broad in my 2610 is OK. I named her Gracey Lou Freebush.):h

I absolutely hate the broad in my Zumo 550. She is really an annoying B#$%h:mad2:. I only use it on trips and then I turn off the sound a lot or keep the volume really low.

The broad in my 2610 is OK. I named her Gracey Lou Freebush.):h

I absolutely hate the broad in my Zumo 550. She is really an annoying B#$%h:mad2:. I only use it on trips and then I turn off the sound a lot or keep the volume really low.

My wife has one in her 07' Durango and shes an annoying b*^$ch as well !!!!!!!! Kinda funny, wife on a cell phone, the GPS talking, the radio on....kinda makes me wonder how she gets anywhere at all.

Im gonna have to give hers a name........

After my recent trip to Colorado,I do not recommend TOM TOM. :nono:There is a well used Highway (state 287) from Ft Worth,Tx. to Amarillo that was not recognized by my gps until I was on it for 25 miles. Its a TOOL only. ):h
Thats why they still make paper maps. :thumbsup:

Yes, just a tool so you need a backup. I usually have an Atlas of the US, Wally World has them at a great price, and then if it is a State I want to be specific about and off the main roads I get the Atlas and Gazetteer for that State which even has unpaved roads listed. This is especially helpful in the Western states as they have some fine unpaved roads that run for hundreds of miles.):h

When I plug in a destination on my GPS I usually will pull up the route and check it against my maps and if I don't like the way the GPS does it I will change from fastest to shortest to off road.

Sounds complicated but it keep me out of trouble.

My GPS sits in the glove box most of the time. I really only use it to get me places Ive never been before. Otherwise it does exactly that, sit there in the glove box and take up some space.

I have multiple GPS units, including Garmin, Cobra, and Mio, plus APRS and GPS capability on some of my radio gear.

Back