• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 d-max for sale, cheap, has damage, any idea what it is?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello everyone,

my boss ran onto a pretty nice 06 duramax/allison 4wd. they guy is selling it cheap (5 grand), and here is why.

a month or two ago, it stated knocking slightly, and has gotten progressively worse. now it is blowing white smoke, and runs rough.

he recently had the head gaskets replaced, and possibly the turbo. (all before the knocking)

supposedly there was an Edge box on the window.

are there any occasionally heard of issues that could explain the symptoms? any idea how mch to fix?

thanks for any and all help!

My guess would be bad injector also. Checking the balance rates would confirm that.....

Can you check to see if the DIC is showing any codes? That would be the best way to diagnose. If it were an injector, you would smell a strong RAW diesel fuel smell. With the hard start, it could be a glow plug issue. Maybe even a tip broke and stuck in piston.

Last edited:
DTCs are the first thing to check. Diagnostic speculation gets muuuch easier after that.

It is at the owners place, and there is one guy in line befor my boss, so he hasnt gone over to check codes. He feels like, (and I see his point) if he goes over to check it out, the owner will tell the first guy, "hey, he was looking at it today, do you still want it?" and it might pressure the guy into taking it, for fear of not jumping at a good deal. so he is waiting and hoping that the first guys wife informs him he isnt spending that much on a dead pickup. :)

but I did get a little more clarification on its issues:

It did have an edge box. (IDK what version, Edge, Edge with attitude, etc) the old man swore he never set on high, but also never said that he was the sole driver. kids have their own rigs, but who knows, some one could have set on kill and went mustang hunting one night.

The knock was not progressive. It started knocking ever so slightly. He said no one he asked could make it out, but since owning it since new, he did notice the change in noise. It never got any worse, so he kept going. A while later, he is bombing down the freeway, and all of a sudden, loud knocking, shaking (apparently engine shaking along with steering shaking!), and black smoke. call the kid, he comes with the gooseneck, and they take it home. As they were loading it, the kid said that it did puff a puff of white smoke before resuming the black smoke routine. It was never clarified if it was smoking at all before the big incedent, or just during and after.

It has sat since. supposedly not drove since breakdown.

I have the hot codes unlocked on my Edge Evoluion (I call them the tranny killers) and DD it in the lowest HOT setting. It runs great and gets good mileage, just making the point that not everyone uses the high power settings to drive the piss out of things, I use it because of the driving characteristics. OH YEAH and it can stomp most ricers that think their hot stuff.

From my experience most Dmax's that are maintained well dont have valve train or rod bearing issues (could be a rod knock but couldnt say without hearing it). Injectors arent common fail points in a LBZ but are more likely than valve train issues.

well, the guys kid got online and researched the truck, the motor, and the problem. they have tentatively decided to keep it! :) damn LBZ, too good of powertrain and truck.

we were worried about this, as before it broke down, his dealer told him to keep the truck for one more year before trading to a new one. when a dealer, who has a opportunity to sell a new one, tells the customer keep the truck longer, really means they are good units, and that the dealer is pretty honest too.

thanks for all the input guys!

Back