• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06/07 Cummins issue

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine has an either 06 or 07 Cummins and is having starting issues. He just had it in to the dealer and they put in a new intake heater and "cleaned" the injectors, didn't know they did that. Had to give him a jump today and it would only start after extended cranking and lots of wd40 and then it barely ran until , I assume, the air got forced out. My ? is what are the likely places for air intrusion?

The injectors can be cleaned just like gas injectors by running a mixture through the fuel system while it's running. Never heard of an intake heater failing, but I have seen several heater relays fail. As to starting aids, thats a good way to blow the intake off. Instead of the explosion happening in the cylinder, it will ignite in the intake at the grid heater. Need to find out if the problem is lack of intake heat, or if it's losing prime. Look for fuel leaks 1st. Also need to make sure the electric lift pump is working. Then check to see if the grid heaters are getting power when it's keyed on. I believe there should also be a ground strap at the intake heater down to the intake that may have gotten left off when they worked on it. Also check the fusible links for the grid heater. I've seen them have power until a load is applied, then they lose power.

Back