• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

04 LB7 Exhaust Brake, why, why not, and who to get?

Ranger

Spoolin that turbo ;0)
Reaction score
Alrighty... so I'm more than likely going to be getting an 11k triple slide 38' trailer, and trolling about the lower 48 for an unknown duration of time full-timing.

Stopping is a good idea, exhaust brakes help with that.

My questions are pretty simple.

Why should I be getting one? Sounds simple, but it's been quite some time since I really studied my truck beyond maintenance... being a broke a$$ doesn't lend itself to performance of any sort with a vehicle beyond stock, but I will have the coin for upgrades at this point.

Why shouldn't I get one?

Who should I be looking at? From everything I can see, I'm stuck with a remote brake coming off the downpipe... I have a Banks exhaust already on it, which would seem to lend itself to a banks brake setup (looking at the install instructions, it'll mate right up vs welding and funkiness for a BD)

Thanks for the help.

look into the Pacbrake system also. with a seperate on/off switch to activate the "brain" of the system of choice, there really is no down side to a exhaust brake. once you get used to how the tuck reacts to braking under load with the exhaust brake you will definitely like the truck alot better. the sound of the brake under load will take some getting used to and may alarm some passengers that arent expecting the distinct sound they make. if you get a system that is air powered you will need a compressor and tank system also. that will be a nice side bonus as now you will have air when ever and where ever you may need it.

If that 5er has quality brakes like any well made full time 5er should...then you should be fine without an exhaust brake...you may consider upgrading the oem brakes and brake lines on the truck though

I think upgrading the brakes on mine will be my next project...I tow for work daily and I pull a 12k travel trailer around for our camping trips...but the main reason is when drag racing using a boosted launch I drive right through the brakes at anything over 20# of boost...I figure if I can get a brake setup to hold to around 24+ psi then I have all the braking I need for all that other stuff I mentioned...

btw: if you ever make it down this way feel free to PM me...I'm just a couple miles from where I-10, I-59 and I-12 meet

Back