• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

03 Cummins rail pressure

searstractorfan

Reaction score
Whats the rail pressure supposed to be at idle on my 03 cummins? I got around 5000psi...on my gauge it might be on 5000psi then it might be a hole needles with above 5000psi, and then right back down...it just sits and jumps up and down like that ever since I installed the gauge...Its kinda irritating as if the radio is off and its quiet in the cab you can actually hear the gauge moving(hehe yes u can hear the electronics moving the needle)..is this normal? it seems to run fine so I dont think its hurts it....

That's right where it should be.

The '03 and '04 trucks idle at ~5K psi. The 04.5+ trucks idle at ~6.8K psi. The 03/04's have and 8 hole injector nozzle with smaller holes, requiring less pressure to atomize. The 04.5+ use a 5 hole nozzle with larger holes.

And yes, the motors on some of the electric gauges do make noise. My oil pressure does the same thing.

Totally normal.

The ECM varies the pressure to maintain a smooth idle.

Mine fluctuates between 6400 and 7200 at idle.

Cool, thats the info I was looking for!! THANKS A MILLION rich!!!!PS, I got a guy maybe looking to get the same gauges, mount and chip as I got......so I might be pm u to get a price for him as he said he hasnt found them anywhere else for less than $1700(where he looked I dunno)

Back