• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'03-'07 Silverado/Sierra All On Headlight Mod

RYDNHI4X4

Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog
Reaction score
Written by Unit453.

I've gotten a million pm's from people asking how exactly to do this modification. I enjoy helping others out so I'm putting together this thread as a how to. Mind you, this is for an 03 model year on up to 07. The new body style's are different.

Parts needed.

Diodes from Radio Shack. Part #'s 4001, 4002, 4003, or 4004. They're all basically the same and your only issue is going to be the length. They're less than a dollar so its relatively cheap...

Everything runs from the low beam fuse. The low beam fuse has 4 pins, labeled with numbers. Take the 85 pin and run the diode with the bottle cap pointing toward the high beam fuse 85 pin. You have to pull out the fuse and look at the numbers to make sure you're getting the right one.

After running the diode from the low to the high beam 85 pin, you now will be able to retain your low beams with the use of your high beams.

Next, take the second diode and run it from the 85 pin of the low beam fuse and connect it to the 85 leg of the fog light fuse. You can wrap the diode around the leg itself, stick it in the hole or solder it, its up to you. Soldering it obviously is the best option since its going to be a fail safe connection. Once they're connected to the 85 pins, you now will retain your fog lights with the use of your high beams as well.

Or....

You can take the diode and run it from the 85 pin of the high beams and connect it to the 85 pin of the fog lights. Now you'll be able to retain your fog lights, when your low beams are on.

Some people use the DRL's as well. Some people may think that this could overload the circuit. I opted not to use my DRL's because they dont put out much light anyways and I didnt want to fry anything.

As always, if you get lost, pm me and I'll walk you through it over the phone.

Attachments

• All On Headlight Mod.jpg
    All On Headlight Mod.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01241.JPG
    DSC01241.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 360
  • Diode and Fuse.jpg
    Diode and Fuse.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 174
  • headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 223
  • HPIM0190.jpg
    HPIM0190.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
I followed the instructions (kind of) and I have to say that this is one of the best upgrades ever. Stock lights but damn they light up every thing now. Thanks.

This was without a doubt one of the best upgrades I did to my truck. I've also dropped a set of the John Deere bulbs in for low beams. Part No. (apparently I packed the boxes, will post the number later) for future reference.

One of the best mods in my opinion. Took my time and did it on my truck, took about 25 min of fooling around. Pulled my pals '03 Gasser Tahoe in and did his in like 10 min! Great mod, cheap and Very effective!

Just a FYI if you plow like I do.

I put a switch in-line between the hi and low beam wire with diode. That way you can turn this off when running the single sealed beam that is found on 99% of plow light setups. I figure the are not meant to burn or light up together at the same time. I was thinking when I did this the sealed bulbs could over heat the bulb, cracking it in the extreme cold.

I love this mod. Had the same with my Audi and I like having lights on the road at night. The more the better, as long as I'm not blinding someone. :D

Here's to the person who thought of this mod :cheers2:

You should try putting someone HID lights in. Then will you see a huge difference.

I love this mod. Had the same with my Audi and I like having lights on the road at night. The more the better, as long as I'm not blinding someone. :D

Here's to the person who thought of this mod :cheers2:

What is the cost involved? Wife doesn't want my dropping a lot of cash into the truck at this time.
She likes the idea of 'saving for a raining day'. Well today it's raining. :D

What would I be looking for? Head, High and fog? Hell do they make the DRL hids also might as well go all the way. :) I was told that PIAA are great lights also and should work as good as the HID's. But I know what the HID's look like and love'm. Had them on the Audi.

I do need to turn them up some. Not happy with the distance that they shine at the present time.
Look to be pointed at the ground, but I guess this is right as you are not blinding the on-coming traffic then. :(

I have highs, lows and fogs. The lows and fogs make the biggest difference. I'm out in farm country and most of my driving at night is on dark, desolate 55 mph country roads where the high beams make a huge difference. If I could do it again, I wouldnt do the highs.

The low beams and fog lights are sufficient enough on their own. You can spend $200 and have a set for your lows and fogs. They really are the cats ass in lighting.

................... Fogs only.....Fogs and lows.

Attachments

• HPIM0905.jpg
    HPIM0905.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 63
  • fogs only.jpg
    fogs only.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 53
  • fogs and low beams.jpg
    fogs and low beams.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I'm using this procedure for running BOTH the High and Low beams when I click ON the high beams. I'm not running HID's, but I did get higher intensity replacement bulbs.

I only used ONE diode since I didn't want to over-tax the BCM with 3 sets of lights running off of one circuit.

Instead of soldering the diode to the relay legs, I drilled a very small hole on the two relay legs about 80% of the way up and insert the small wires from the diodes. Then when I install the relays, the pressure keeps the wire tight in place. This way, I can easily remove the diode if I ever want to run my lights the normal way.

Total cost was 25 cents for the diode.

I've done this myself a while ago; best mod for the money, in my opinion.

One thing to be careful of while doing this is that if you ever need to use a test light, be careful not to "strech" out any of the relay sockets. I made this mistake and short of tearing apart the fuse/relay block to close the contacts down, it's somewhat difficult to fix. I ended up laying a bead of solder on the relay terminals in order to make them wider. Just a word of caution...

Our truck has 4 fuses, one for each headlight, (DS Low, DS High, PS Low, PS High) I'm confused as to how all this goes. Thanks for the help. (Not doing it now, considering it, though)

Our truck has 4 fuses, one for each headlight, (DS Low, DS High, PS Low, PS High) I'm confused as to how all this goes. Thanks for the help. (Not doing it now, considering it, though)

You should be looking for the Relays, not the fuses. They're about 3/4" square and charcoal colored. When you wrestle one from the socket they've got 4 pins on the bottom and on the bottom of the relay center lid itself is the pin layout so you know which one to connect the diodes to.

Here are some pics that may help.

Attachments

• All On Headlight Mod.jpg
    All On Headlight Mod.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Diode and Fuse.jpg
    Diode and Fuse.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 39
Back