• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

01 GMC 8.1L Dually

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
Just thought I would share some of our winter projects around the farm.

Yesterday We painted the faded/paint peeled/clear coat missing hood with herculiner. Put the second coat on today (there where cat prints in yesterdays coat :rolleyes5: )

Here's the Red Dually (was Ol Blues replacement)
2012-12-06_13-57-21_436.jpg

2012-12-06_13-57-34_512.jpg

2012-12-06_13-58-02_505.jpg

2012-12-06_13-58-23_160.jpg

2012-12-06_13-58-40_94.jpg

2012-12-06_13-59-14_463.jpg

Cousin wrestling the Idler set up out. Yes he gave up on his receding hair line and slicked it off lol. I dont have the family hair genetics.
2012-12-06_15-53-05_236.jpg

Today we got all of the steering linkage replaced: Driver side tie rods, idler, and pitman

Also started removing both upper balljoints and the Pass side lower ball joint. The lower ball joint poped out of socket when i went to check them, wonder why it rattled so bad?! :eek:

Next on the list for this truck is AC and possible valve work (seems that it might have a burnt valve/weak hole)

While I've got ya'll attention: Does anyone have any tricks to getting the balljoints out of the control arms?

Ok, thanks. I'm loading the vid now.

Our torch cart is on our welding trailer at the moment (not parked close enough to the shop torch) and we have been making attempts to beat them out as opposed to dragging the tanks in the shop.

Yeah, no, do that. Basically cut the heads off the rivets, cut the ball joint off flush with the control arm, and heat up the cast iron in the arm, then use an air-hammer and punch the rivets out.

Just watched the ball joint portion of the clip. Lower ball joints need replaced at 97K?! What a crock, the lower we are replacing is ORIGINAL, the other parts that are not being tended to were replaced in 06 ~ 70K ago. This will be the second set of uppers.

I havent dug into the lower (on purpose) yet. So far I am trying to get the uppers out, they are press in type (no rivets or bolts). If there isnt a handy trick I will heat them too.

Went and borrowed a ball joints press from the machine shop. Those are a lifesaver! It looks like a big c clamp.

That is what I used, they make life easy! :thumbsup:

The uppers on the other hand are a pain if they still have the rivets.

They had to to relocate them for the lowering kit. They knew that they were going to need to cut the originals out...

Back