• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

01 Duramax

jcool

#78 A(ACLU) FNG
Reaction score
Okay, I finally have gotten to look at my mothers 01 dmax alli 4x4 with 230k on its clock. symptoms include loss of oil and coolant, white smoke at idle and upon acceleration. I topped the fluids off and checked the codes p0236 turbo boost sensor a circuit range/performance. p0380 glow plug heater circuit a malfunction. I also noticed motor oil leaking out of the tailpipe. I cleared the codes pulled the coolant cap off and fired the truck up. noticed horrible rattling in engine bay, saw idler pulley bouncing around, shut down and lubed and tightened idler pulley and checked all other bearings then started back up without rattling noise. coolant does not blow out of the top of the lid, does not run hot, and was not blowing any smoke unless I feathered the throttle and then its just a puff on takeoff. Truck seems to still run strong but I cannot hear the turbo spool. Given I only drove around the yard but I didnt hear it. I didnt notice any loss of power though. so my guess is that either a injector is bad(or a few) or the turbo is leaking oil somehow and or coolant. In the twenty minutes I ran the truck the coolant level never changed though. Anyone in the Currituck county or va beach area with a tech 2 so I can see the balance rates? Any other suggestions? Money is very tight with my mom so bringing it to a dealer is a no go. Thanks guys. -Justin

You can check them with EFI live too. Is the oil level high? Were the injectors changed recently? One of the possibilities when my coolant was blowing out was the turbo being bad. If your turbo has shit the bed, maybe it's pressurizing the coolant and leaking oil into the exhaust.

You can check them with EFI live too. Is the oil level high? Were the injectors changed recently? One of the possibilities when my coolant was blowing out was the turbo being bad. If your turbo has shit the bed, maybe it's pressurizing the coolant and leaking oil into the exhaust.

I added about 3 qts of oil to fill it back up. doesnt look deluted but who knows. what other symptoms did your truck have with a bad turbo? should i take a spin in it and see if its still got any grunt? Yeah I know a few programmers will read balance rates, i will take anything anyone will share with me!

Mine had a bad head gasket. But the opinions of people on the other site were that with my symptoms it could be a bad head gasket, bad injector cup(s), or a bad turbo.
Maybe you've heard all that too and thought that a balance check will tell you that you have bad injector cup(s), but that will only tell you that you have an injector out of balance which doesn't have anything to do with the cups. I'd check out your turbo since you also have turbo codes and can't hear it spooling. Do you have a boost gauge? Or know someone with efi? You could log the boost, just remember to deduct the baro pressure. With 0 boost you will still read approx 15lbs of boost.

01' ?

head gaskets...

feel the upper radiator hose...

firm? pressurized?

feel it again hours later...Firm? still pressurized?

01's are notorious for head gaskets...I was in denial for about 6 mos.

JMHO

Pepp

got to agree with Pepp, check out the upper rad hose, check the overflow tube at the front of the engine, is it really wet with oil? I've noticed I am using oil between changes but it isn't enough to be concern about...maybe a quart every 10k miles

gunna go squeeze the hose right now... its definatly using a lot of oil. considering there is more than a little dripping out of the exhaust. i will post the pick i have of the exhaust on my phone soon. i have to bring the mazda to the dealer for its 10k service and then im going to take moms truck for a spin.

Attachments

• oil in exhaust.jpg
    oil in exhaust.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 9
well i drove the truck today after topping all the fluids off. it blows white smoke when accelerating, more when your deeper in the throttle. seems to still have about the same power when they got the truck, still seems to spool the turbo yet isnt as loud as i seem to remember it being. also my mother got 14mpg towing a very small trailer with the truck which is very unusual since it got 16-18mpg with the 28' camper behind it driving 55 as she always does towing. anyway oil pressure is good, and looks like it usually does after 5k on it, not milky or anything. coolant looked like it had gone down about a qt or less. what do you guys think the truck is worth in this condition? and if it was fixed? oh and the truck never overheated sat 2 ticks below the 210 mark as always.

how about them hoses...pressurized?

If not...
try putting some clean cardboard underneath to see if it's weeping from the water pump...also a common issue...

also remove the plastic 6.6 cover from the motor and look at the two hoses there...they are a common leak point...replace them with purosil hoses and sleeved clamps...

still betting on Head Gaskets though...I put a lot of money in replacing everything that could have leaked...just to make sure it was the head gaskets before I decided to make the trip to Merchants...

Oh...did I mention to feel the upper radiator hose? :D

Last edited:
how about them hoses...pressurized?

If not...
try putting some clean cardboard underneath to see if it's weeping from the water pump...also a common issue...

also remove the plastic 6.6 cover from the motor and look at the two hoses there...they are a common leak point...replace them with purosil hoses and sleeved clamps...

still betting on Head Gaskets though...I put a lot of money in replacing everything that could have leaked...just to make sure it was the head gaskets before I decided to make the trip to Merchants...

Oh...did I mention to feel the upper radiator hose? :D

sir yes sir, going outside to check... I forgot last time:crazy:. its fine that its cold now right?

sir yes sir, going outside to check... I forgot last time:crazy:. its fine that its cold now right?
It's better that it's cold right now. It should be soft, if it's still hard then you have problems. And if your coolant system is getting pressurized than it may look like your only a quart down, but in reality you could only have half your coolant in there. In which case there will be no coolant in the heads causing them to warp, but your coolant level and temp could seem completely normal.

It's better that it's cold right now. It should be soft, if it's still hard then you have problems. And if your coolant system is getting pressurized than it may look like your only a quart down, but in reality you could only have half your coolant in there. In which case there will be no coolant in the heads causing them to warp, but your coolant level and temp could seem completely normal.
:errr:

well the tube was soft..... engine is cold..... so I guess thats a good sign:biggrin5:

Justin, what a bout the drip tube that is located by the lower pulley, is it dripping oil, if it is then that may be the cause of oil usage, white smoke could be injectors, cups, head gaskets.....

Justin, what a bout the drip tube that is located by the lower pulley, is it dripping oil, if it is then that may be the cause of oil usage, white smoke could be injectors, cups, head gaskets.....

or turbo:sick: thanks I will check the tube tomorrow. What pulley would it be near?

That's no way to solve the problem!!
\

well she didn't want to spend any money on the truck since she wanted to get rid of it anyway. I am kinda relieved that it is all worked out and she has a decent car that gets great mileage.

Back