• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

0-60 in Moby

Dump some methanol in and hang on. Trust me. I've mixed some wild amounts and been fine, even injecting up to 4100rpm. Shit would spool a ATT in no time. It made a huge difference for mine.

I ran 8 gallons of boost juice through while towing the rv so I haven't gotten to experience it while not towing yet but it made me nervous. I didn't like the way it sounded... like I was getting major engine knock. Even over the normal diesel noise. I'm sure it was fine but I was 1000 miles away from home and couldn't afford to ruin the motor.
I'll get some more and play around with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Also, I've never had problems with power. This setup will accelerate quite well with the rv, I rarely get to wot. What I really needed was cooling (I'll get more into that later) so I figured just water would help more. I was right. I can cruise at 70-80 mph and maintain speed up grades with water.
But MAN do I go through a lot. I have the 5 gallon tank and when I'm injecting full time, I have to stop and refill about every hour. After reconfiguring the injection start and full injection points, it was a lot better though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Im a dealer for AEM and Snow, I have the Snow in a box for a future project. Witch one did you get?
AEM. I liked it because of the on-the-fly control that it has. The install was super easy, everything was there that I needed plus more. Maybe the Snow is as good and has the controls now, I don't know.

Another thing that I wanted to mention is that I remember hearing a lot about a manual transmission not being able to keep the turbo spooled like the more constant power of the automatic.
This sure looks like it stays spooled pretty well to me.
And an interesting (and rather frightening) thing about when I did run meth... The AEM systems injection start point is adjusted with a dial on the controller. So if I have it set at 5 psi, it's injecting at 5 psi. So, as you can see in the vid, keeping the turbo spooled at or above 5 psi means it's going to keep injecting. With meth being a fuel, and this being a diesel, see what I'm getting at? Between shifts, the engine was continually fueled by the meth and kept the rpms up (again, NOT in the video above but in other runs). Pretty cool because maybe it kept the turbo spooled (I doubt it since the turbo needs a load to spool) but a little scary with the threat of engine run on.
To be clear, the rpms did drop, the engine did not run on uncontrolled, but I just noticed that it kept revving a bit longer between shifts.

Regarding the manual tranny and spooling.

Have that combination in my DI rig and keeping the turbo spooled is not much of a challenge. Just do not let the RPM's drop to idle between shifts. Letting the throttle go all the way back to idle between shifts can let the turbo un-wind.

I too get the rpm hang during shifts. Ain't a problem for me, actually keeps my turbo spooled well. And I know the sound you are talking about during injecting with meth. I get it too. I'd swap to a lesser concentration of meth. just use washer fluid (the -20*F stuff, just straight blue). It's about 30%. I retarded my timing slightly as well. The meth won't detonate until the diesel does, but once lit it burns a lot faster, effectively creating timing advance. Back the timing down a few degrees and see how it acts. Though, I can say, I've 100% injected with meth for a long time with that knock sound with no issue. So it might be ok.

I too get the rpm hang during shifts. Ain't a problem for me, actually keeps my turbo spooled well. And I know the sound you are talking about during injecting with meth. I get it too. I'd swap to a lesser concentration of meth. just use washer fluid (the -20*F stuff, just straight blue). It's about 30%. I retarded my timing slightly as well. The meth won't detonate until the diesel does, but once lit it burns a lot faster, effectively creating timing advance. Back the timing down a few degrees and see how it acts. Though, I can say, I've 100% injected with meth for a long time with that knock sound with no issue. So it might be ok.
I've known about the washer fluid thing but are you not worried about all the other crap in the washer fluid? Not distilled water, soap, etc.

I was worried about it, but for me it's not much of an issue. The most basic windshield washer fluid (just pure blue -20*F stuff) has the least contaminants. Although the additives inside aren't the best for the oil, the way I see it, I change my oil every 3000 miles or less most times. So any contaminants don't have much of a chance to do any harm, plus I use the best oil filters I can. Haven't had any adverse issues yet.

Dump some methanol in and hang on. Trust me. I've mixed some wild amounts and been fine, even injecting up to 4100rpm. Shit would spool a ATT in no time. It made a huge difference for mine.

And people think I am nuts... I got nothing on you revving that high! :p

I have the 5 gallon tank and when I'm injecting full time, I have to stop and refill about every hour.

I forget where I read about it and most of the details - but someone put water injection on their Suburban and used a 30 gal fuel tank under the floor for water. They would open the 'fuel' door and put the water hose in causing many people to panic at gas stations. Water gets heavy.

I rev over 3000 pretty regularly.
And I'll probly feel different after some time, but I only want to use distilled water in my system. .89 a gallon is pretty easy to swallow. Especially when my fuel is free.

WW, I had my governor turned up way higher to extend my high rpm fuel rate, and at one point, I was able to turn 4500rpm. I did it once, and it sounded like nothing I've ever heard before. And at that rpm the cam, and heads are very far out of efficiency. That high up, and the governor restriction to the fuel curve becomes pointless, because the pump just can't keep up an fuel will drop off anyways. So I turned it down until I felt it was at the limit of what the pump can flow before the governor takes over for the fuel curve. It happens for me that the max rpm at that point is about 4100rpm. So that is where my max is now.

@6.5L What are you running for valve springs and rod bolts? I don't think the 31 year old weak high mile springs and rod bolts would hold out on mine. Never-mind the existing mains cracks...

As far as I know, stock for whatever came in the Optimizer. The Optimizer never got rebuilt when I bought it. Just threw it in there. I think the Optimizer went to smaller main bolts to alleviate the main web cracking issue. So it doesnt worry me there

Just seeing this thread. I'm impressed with how well the turbo is staying spooled up during shifts. That's interesting about the methanol keeping the engine fueled during shifts, I hadn't thought about that before, but it makes sense. I think I'm going to do water injection this summer and I'm trying to figure out water storage - how big is your water tank that you're running Hink? Interesting to know that you're refilling every hour when you're under load. And wow, 8200 pounds, makes me appreciate the light weight of my hoe, though I keep entertaining the idea of getting a crew cab dually for heavy towing - I've had a Ford build in the works for a few years, but my newfound enjoyment with the 6.5 has me thinking of switching brands.

Just seeing this thread. I'm impressed with how well the turbo is staying spooled up during shifts. That's interesting about the methanol keeping the engine fueled during shifts, I hadn't thought about that before, but it makes sense. I think I'm going to do water injection this summer and I'm trying to figure out water storage - how big is your water tank that you're running Hink? Interesting to know that you're refilling every hour when you're under load. And wow, 8200 pounds, makes me appreciate the light weight of my hoe, though I keep entertaining the idea of getting a crew cab dually for heavy towing - I've had a Ford build in the works for a few years, but my newfound enjoyment with the 6.5 has me thinking of switching brands.
Mmmm...yeah, switch brands. : )>
I got the 5 gallon tank from AEM. Of course you can use whatever tank you want (the hose fitting comes with the tank less kit) but I was under a time crunch. I'll try to get a pic of it posted later.
I highly recommend water injection. And the AEM kit that you can get from Leroy was super easy to install. Other than the money, I think everyone is crazy not to get it.
Diesel engine+turbo+water/meth= perfection.

That every hour fill up was when I was injecting full time. After I adjusted it so that it was only injecting under acceleration or up hills, etc. it lasted much longer. And not towing, it lasted forever so a smaller tank in a non-towing rig should be fine.
Yeah, the 8200 lbs is certainly a factor. I was recently considering picking up a dually axle setup from a yard but I don't think I want to add more weight and this one ton frame handles my fifth wheel and any other loads that I have needed just fine.

Last edited:
Back