• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check your balls!

after reading all of this horror stories, i think i might just tack weld the nut on to make sure it doesn't come loose.

We had a 2 5/16 ball that would come loose frequently. So we dipped the threads in liquid fertilizer before we tightened it. It never came loose again.

We had a 2 5/16 ball that would come loose frequently. So we dipped the threads in liquid fertilizer before we tightened it. It never came loose again.
LOL, gotta love the power of rust.
On our 2 5/16 ball I welded the nut to the shank and spot welded the lock washer to the nut. There should be a zero chance of it coming loose.

We always take a punch to the threads right by the nut once it is tight. My sister drove from NM to CA with a trailer to our ranch and showed up with the nut gone. Luckily it did not come apart.

One time when I was a kid we were on vacation in Montana. We stopped at a family reunion and my uncle for some reason noticed the pin was missing from the receiver. That sucker had slid out about 1 1/2" if I remember it correctly. I had been driving and it scared me to death to think what could have happened. IIRC I was only 16 and only had been driving for 9 months or so.

still better check the welds to make sure there is no cracks. stranger things have happened.

Glad everyone is ok... When I get home this weekend, I'm checking all of my hitches and trailer balls.

John

Back in my college days, I was towing a U-haul trailer from Southern Illinois to Upstate NY. Somewhere on I-71, I noticed that the trailer would make a "clunk" sound every time I changed speeds. I pulled over to check it out. The ball was there, but the nut was GONE!
It was three in the morning, probably 10 or more miles to the next exit. There was NO Way that I was going to leave that U-haul there!There was a full set of Snap_On tools & a fresh 425 HP 396 BB Chevy engine in it. I was wondering what I could do, when I noticed an overpass about 1/4 mile up the road. I took a 16" Cresent & checked it out. Would you believe that the railings were held on by the exact size nut that I needed? :smilewinkgrin:(The statute of limitations expired long ago!):seeya:

What ever works!:coolgleamA:

Rick has now drilled and pinned mine. Thank you, Honey! :) Hopefully, I will not have another problem. I still plan to check regularly.

Wow we cant tow tandem in Canada with out Commercial Plates and a A Licence. Same as a transport truck.
And My Wife thought I was Crazy Buying Chains rated for 6000# on a 2000# trailer.

Not only that the front trailer has to be on a fifth wheel hitch not a ball hitch (gooseneck).

I running with a driver once in AB and he had the front trailer on a gooseneck and the back was a bumper hitch. He got thru the Canadien scales but got stopped by a CA DOT officer. He had to drop the back trailer at a car lot and leave it. I dropped my trailer at Airdrie and came back and got the other trailer and took it to Airdrie while the other driver went to OR.

He had pulled doubles into CA previously and never was stopped but it only takes one time. He had a flatbed truck so the DOT officer could see the hitch. The previous times he had a truck with a pickup bed.

All the rules are hard to keep up with.

Good she's safe.Where did this happen.Next time look me up no matter what time or where in NM,I'll be there!

Back